Unable to Connect External Monitor via USB-C on Lenovo Legion 5 (15ARH05H)

I have a Lenovo Legion 5 (15ARH05H) equipped with a Ryzen 7 4800H and GTX 1660 Ti. I am attempting to connect a 24-inch HP monitor as a secondary display via the USB-C port, while my primary monitor is connected via HDMI. The manual confirms the laptop supports two external monitors this way, but I'm encountering issues with the USB-C connection.

Here are the steps I've taken:

1. Cables/Adapters Used:
  2. Laptop Reactions:
    • Upon connecting, I hear the device connection sound, but no display appears.
    • The laptop does not recognize the monitor in display settings.
  3. Driver and Settings Update:
    • Updated IO drivers and disabled Hybrid mode in Lenovo Vantage to ensure the GPU is fully utilized.
  4. Testing with Another Laptop:
    • Connected both monitors to my HP Elitebook 840 G5 successfully using a USB-C to DP 1.4 and HDMI to HDMI connections.
  5. Error Message Post Windows 11 Install:
    • Received an error: "Display connection might be limited."
    • The manual specifies the USB-C port supports DP 1.2 only, hence tried a USB-C to DP 1.2 cable, but the problem persisted.
  6. Monitor Reaction:
    • The monitor indicates a connection (PC - DP Port) but displays no image.
I'm seeking assistance on how to resolve this issue and successfully connect my HP monitor via USB-C on my Legion 5. Any insights or troubleshooting steps would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

There are a number of different types of USB-C to USB-C cables including: USB 2.0, USB 3.1 Gen 1, USB 3.1 Gen 2, and Thunderbolt 4. The main difference between all of these is their data transfer rates and their charge rates. Basic charge cables give you very slow data transfer speeds and typically only up to 60 watts.

I have a Lenovo Legion 5 (15ARH05H) equipped with a Ryzen 7 4800H and GTX 1660 Ti. I am attempting to connect a 24-inch HP monitor as a secondary display via the USB-C port, while my primary monitor is connected via HDMI. The manual confirms the laptop supports two external monitors this way, but I'm encountering issues with the USB-C connection.

Here are the steps I've taken:

1. Cables/Adapters Used:
  2. Laptop Reactions:
    • Upon connecting, I hear the device connection sound, but no display appears.
    • The laptop does not recognize the monitor in display settings.
  3. Driver and Settings Update:
    • Updated IO drivers and disabled Hybrid mode in Lenovo Vantage to ensure the GPU is fully utilized.
  4. Testing with Another Laptop:
    • Connected both monitors to my HP Elitebook 840 G5 successfully using a USB-C to DP 1.4 and HDMI to HDMI connections.
  5. Error Message Post Windows 11 Install:
    • Received an error: "Display connection might be limited."
    • The manual specifies the USB-C port supports DP 1.2 only, hence tried a USB-C to DP 1.2 cable, but the problem persisted.
  6. Monitor Reaction:
    • The monitor indicates a connection (PC - DP Port) but displays no image.
I'm seeking assistance on how to resolve this issue and successfully connect my HP monitor via USB-C on my Legion 5. Any insights or troubleshooting steps would be highly appreciated. Thank you!
I have the same unit and the display on type C was working before. It just stopped working on display for some reason. I tried connecting other type c devices and they are working fine. It is just the display connection that stopped working. I am suspecting a Windows update or a hot key may be. Was your problem already resolved?

I have the same unit and the display on type C was working before. It just stopped working on display for some reason. I tried connecting other type c devices and they are working fine. It is just the display connection that stopped working. I am suspecting a Windows update or a hot key may be. Was your problem already resolved?
Hey! No, I gave up back then because nothing worked. However, I just received a reply on another forum that. I've yet to try it but I will see if this works, have a look:

"I have similar issue with my Legion 5 15ARH05H. It's Type-C Video Output stopped working with no warning while its data transfer is still working. Looks like Lenovo has issues with a number of their units.

Lots of Lenovo laptops have USB-C issues, but there's a fix
https://www.windowscentral.com/lots-lenovo-laptops-have-usb-c-issues-theres-fix

Nearly all ThinkPads have defective USB-C ports: What to do now
By Phillip Tracy
published 23 January 2020
https://www.tomsguide.com/news/nearly-all-thinkpads-have-defective-usb-c-ports-what-to-do-now

Critical Intel Thunderbolt Software and Firmware Updates - ThinkPad
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/...SmPzOUUkH2VFSMZR2TXA0&cid=ca:affiliate:bw4wpk"

Back