Red Dead Redemption 2's PC port ties gameplay mechanics to framerate, users claim

Polycount

Staff

If you're a PC gamer with a high-end rig, you're probably familiar with the wonders of high refresh-rate gaming. The feeling of smoothness you feel whilst gaming at 120, 144, or even 240 FPS can be quite fantastic, and it's pretty tough to give up. Unfortunately, some games force you to do just that.

Bethesda titles, in particular, are notorious for having their physics engines (among other things) locked to the player's framerate. This means that, if you go over 60 FPS, you'll start to notice quite a few oddities. At lower framerates, they aren't as noticeable, but once you exceed 100 FPS or so, you'll see enemies fly into the sky, objects hurl themselves off of tables, and horses glitch into mountains.

There is a community-discovered fix for these issues (it works for Skyrim, Skyrim Special Edition, and Fallout 4), but it isn't widely-known, and most players simply cap their FPS to 60 to avoid the situation entirely.

Sadly, it seems Bethesda is not the only developer whose games suffer from framerate-related problems. According to Reddit user Jimmyoneshot, Red Dead Redemption 2's PC port also ties certain aspects of gameplay to player framerates. After what appears to be some pretty thorough testing, Jimmyoneshot found that in-game protagonist Arthur Morgan's Health and Stamina meters, as well as his weight, are drastically affected by the game's FPS.

If you run the game at 30 FPS, everything will be normal. You will lose weight just as you would in RDR2's console versions. However, if you run the game at 60 FPS, Core drain speed and weight loss will be twice as fast, meaning you'll need to eat 2x as much food as you normally would to keep things steady. At 120 FPS, your stat drain speed is reportedly quadrupled, and so on.

If that wasn't bad enough, Jimmyoneshot's fellow redditors have reported other FPS-related issues as well. While there don't seem to be any major, game-breaking physics bugs at high framerates, RDR2's mostly-cosmetic weather and day/night cycles are affected. Some users say heavy storms will roll in and out in as little as 30 seconds, which certainly isn't intentional behavior (I've played the game on console myself, and adverse weather usually lasts much longer than that).

We've reached out to Rockstar for confirmation on this bug, and we'll update you when or if they respond. Playing at 60 FPS (or more) is one of the primary benefits of playing RDR2 on PC, and it'd be a shame if players were punished -- even unintentionally -- for doing so.

It's worth noting that these framerate headaches are far from the only ones RDR2's PC fans have dealt with recently. When the port first launched a few days ago, it was plagued with numerous performance-related issues, from stuttering to poor overall optimization. Thankfully, some of the complications have been fixed with new driver updates, but it's clear the game still has a ways to go.

Permalink to story.

Think of it as an "Early Access" game. You still pay full price but the Devs can claim any bugs are from EA status. I think Fortnite is still in EA, Ark was EA for 2-3 years, a number of indie games I play are pretty much permanEarly Access. Still had ta pay for 'em.

I have heard that RDR2 coming to PC was confirmed. But I was actually surprised when it was released so soon. After all these glitches, makes me wonder why they released earlier, and that they should have tested thoroughly before release.

Sadly yes, it feels like players are made to look like dunces for buying the "beta-testing" product.

I've said it before, and I don't mind saying again. Don't rush. Don't pre-order. Don't support this pre-ordering nonsense.

Ask for demos like how companies used to give the players last time to try out their games.

How players are buying un-released games based on marketing words or sequels or trailers alone is beyond me. Worst yet, buying a game that is still in concept.

I too planned to buy RDR2 on PC, not for the 60fps gameplay alone. I already have it on my PS4 Pro and it's playable, but I couldn't stand the PS4 Pro's fan noise when playing this game. Planned to play it with my PC for this reason where my graphics card is quiet. Will get this game for PC much later when on sale.

Last edited:
Wow, glad I decided to hold out for the Steam version. Looks like I may wait even longer until the issues are resolved. Well on the brightside, maybe I'll get it at a better price.

Planned to play it with my PC for this reason where my graphics card is quiet
Hahaha... RDR2 and quiet GPU don't really go together.
I'll give it a year to allow for some patches and discounts. Did the same with GTAV and it worked out pretty well.
An entire year? Pessimist much?
Wow, glad I decided to hold out for the Steam version. Looks like I may wait even longer until the issues are resolved. Well on the brightside, maybe I'll get it at a better price.
Just gotta have that dual layer DRM huh?

Hahaha... RDR2 and quiet GPU don't really go together.
An entire year? Pessimist much?
Just gotta have that dual layer DRM huh?

I have nearly a year's worth of backlog to get caught up on of games that actually work properly on PC. Not to mention the new Star Wars game, Pokemon, FF7 remake, TLOU2 coming out, etc. So no, not a pessimist, it's these rare things called patience and self control.

I have nearly a year's worth of backlog to get caught up on of games that actually work properly on PC. Not to mention the new Star Wars game, Pokemon, FF7 remake, TLOU2 coming out, etc. So no, not a pessimist, it's these rare things called patience and self control.
I know you understand the term "diminishing returns". Also, the new pokemon games on the switch have less than half of the national dex. Half those games you mentioned aren't even on PC lol

I have heard that RDR2 coming to PC was confirmed. But I was actually surprised when it was released so soon. After all these glitches, makes me wonder why they released earlier, and that they should have tested thoroughly before release.

Sadly yes, it feels like players are made to look like dunces for buying the "beta-testing" product.

I've said it before, and I don't mind saying again. Don't rush. Don't pre-order. Don't support this pre-ordering nonsense.

Ask for demos like how companies used to give the players last time to try out their games.

How players are buying un-released games based on marketing words or sequels or trailers alone is beyond me. Worst yet, buying a game that is still in concept.

I too planned to buy RDR2 on PC, not for the 60fps gameplay alone. I already have it on my PS4 Pro and it's playable, but I couldn't stand the PS4 Pro's fan noise when playing this game. Planned to play it with my PC for this reason where my graphics card is quiet. Will get this game for PC much later when on sale.

I will buy the game next year when its discounted on Steam :)

I know you understand the term "diminishing returns". Also, the new pokemon games on the switch have less than half of the national dex. Half those games you mentioned aren't even on PC lol

Your last reply is just what I needed to hear to know that YOU are the pessimist. Thanks for playing.

It's a single player game. It doesn tmatter if you first play it tomorrow or 5 years from now, it will be the same experience. "diminishing returns" would suggest real world improvements would become unnoticeable, but buying the game in a year for $40 with bugs fixed seems to be the exact opposite of that.

As for pokemon, there are metric loads of pokemon. Do you really need 800+ in a single game? Not to mention the new world is a massive console sized one comapred to previous games. It's the world pokemon fans have wanted since the gamecube days.

Since loops are linked to "ticks", every if statement in the game that fires this.tick will happen at a higher rate for higher FPS, since each tick is the game drawing a new frame. Simple solution for consoles, given they don't vary in components and generally all output the same framerate. Woops

Back