Low Frame Rate on a High Hz Monitor

KedsDead

So I have been thinking about getting a new high refresh rate monitor. Currently I have a very old 1440p Dell U2711. It is 60hz, but when games drop below that, ie Ray Tracing enabled on my AMD card, I can see the vertical refresh line run up the screen.

My Question is, As our (or my) systems age, and the frame rate goes down on the newer game titles, how well do the high refresh rate monitors handle low fps?

If I am playing lets say, Allan Wake 2 or Cyberpunk at 1440p with all the bells and whistles loaded and the my frame rate is 40fps, how well does the monitor perform at that flow a frame rate. Or do they just do it and it is not an issue and I am worried about nothing?

Yeah.. I know that.. I have a 6900XT, I dont tend to replace computer parts for around 5 years or so. I just replaced my 5820k with a GTX 1080, with a 5600X3D and a 6900XT. So I am looking a few years down the road. When the system is 4 or 5 years old, it will most likely perform as my 1080 did. So I was wondering if high refresh rate monitors suffer from any performance issues when they are being used at 70fps and below?

Your monitor probably has adaptive sync of some kind (Freesync and/or G-Sync compatible) and so it should handle lower frame rates just fine.

Sounds like everything is in order. Game just is very demanding and so FPS is low.

My current monitor is dirt old. Dell U2711 from 2009. It is a 1440p at 60hz, it does fine up to around 80fps, after that I start to see tears and stuff when I rotate the mouse quickly. If it drops below 55fps, I can see the vertical line scroll up the screen. I want to make sure I am not going to have that vertical scroll problem on a new monitor.

My current monitor is dirt old. Dell U2711 from 2009. It is a 1440p at 60hz, it does fine up to around 80fps, after that I start to see tears and stuff when I rotate the mouse quickly. If it drops below 55fps, I can see the vertical line scroll up the screen. I want to make sure I am not going to have that vertical scroll problem on a new monitor.
Oh, I understood something incorrectly previously. You still don't have new monitor, yes.

So there seems to be problem with lower refresh rates than 60Hz with that old monitor. New monitor very probably has adaptive sync of some kind (Freesync and/or G-Sync compatible) and because of that it should have no major problems with lower refresh rates.

Back