Looking for advice on new PC build

mbk34

My old PC has finally died. It was an i5-3570K, 6650 XT, 8GB with the OS on a 2TB SSD. I found it fine for everything except demanding games. I mainly use the PC for development. I should mention I hate wasting money and will likely keep the GPU and existing SSD. I might throw in a better CPU in a few years but I don't really need it at present. My questions are:
  • Do I go AMD 7500F (good power usage and upgradability) or another Intel i5?
  • 16GB RAM or 32GB? I don't do video editing etc.
  • Should I get an M.2 drive for the OS or stick with the 2TB SSD?
  • What PSU to get (modular, bronze, gold, cheapest etc)?
  • What size motherboard - does everything fir on the smaller (and cheaper) motherboards?
  • Case suggestions (smaller would be better, quieter and no LEDs please)?
  • Can I transfer my current OS (10) or should I get 11/12?

7500F for AM5 is excellent choice if even thinking about upgrade.

We need to know budget and shop you're buying parts.

You might be able to transfer Windows 10 into new machine, much easier if it's Retail. Might be possible if OEM but not so likely.

I actually just ordered everything a few hours ago. I'm going with the AMD 7600 - it's equivalent to the 7600X, comes with a cooler and has an iGPU plus it was the same price as the 7500F where I am. I went with an A620M motherboard as they were affordable and offered all I needed. I went for a single card of 16GB ram as the motherboard only has 2 slots and that gives me the option of expanding in future. I ordered an M.2 SSD and I suspect that will speed things up nicely. I found a 700W semi modular PSU which is more than I need but it was a good price.

From my existing PC I'll take the 6650 XT, a 2TB SSD and various HDD. I couldn't move the OS as I started with Win 7 then upgraded to 10 and I believe it's OEM so it's tied to the motherboard. I'll order a Win 11 key and then create a bootable USB.

The easy thing will be building the PC and most of my work files are on dropbox. The hard thing will be setting up all the software I use - I managed to fill an A4 sheet just listing everything I need to install etc.

I said building the PC would be the easy thing but I just got a red light and an amber light on the motherboard and no BIOS. I checked all the wiring, I tried removig anything that wasn't essential, I rebuilt it from scratch again but I just got those LEDs and no BIOS. I'll send the mb and cpu back and see if that helps.

Just in case anyone else is looking for an answer to this. It turned out it took about 30 secs for the motherboard to initially recognise the CPU etc. If you leave everything powered up then the lights will go out. Previously I just turned everything off quickly the moment I saw the red light. Hey ho.

Back