Getting a drive REdetected

Sebastian42

In my x32WinlOProV22l-l2 desktop tower, I have SATA-connected drives whose power can be switched ON (and OFF) as required. The BIOS has been set to AHCI, so all connected drives should be 'hot-swapable' [or whatever the CORRECT term for that is]. Yet from time to time, newly connected (I.e. newly powered) drives, do not get detected unless I reboot the PC. What tweak will force detection without rebooting ? In vain, I have tried mechanisms involving re-scanning for drives in Disk Management, in DiskPart and in Command Prompt (with 'pnputil /scan-devices') and in Device Manager (Scan for hardware changes). What other options are there ?

It rather looks like the most promising technique is to depower the drive and power it again - that fixes it SOMETIMES if not always.

NO, just because the drive mode is set to "AHCI", absolutely does not mean the drives will automatically be "hot swapable".

Some further diddling is necessary in BIOS to enable it. You lose some other capability in the process. Unfortunately, I forget the particulars. (I never try to hook up drives under power, SATA or otherwise).
If the drive is intermittently not detected from a power off start, I'd consider either a bad SATA cable, power cable, or bad/failing drive as alternate possibilities.

Back