AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Revisit: How Does It Compare Against the 7700 XT?

Good to see how impressive the 7700 XT is especially after the recent price drop to further distinguish it from the 7800 XT

for a 5700 XT replacement, I'm debating between the 7700 XT at $400 and the 6750 XT for $330 since stock on those is still good and it's appreciably faster than the similarly priced 7600 XT

It's a bit sad that the 5700XT can't keep punching beyond 2024, but tech wise RDNA 1 was not much more than a refresh and shrinking of Vega, things got interesting at RDNA2 and beyond.

"but that's in part because the game isn't being fully rendered with many of the textures now missing."

So where's the 8GB gang, shouldnt they be defending this as "its just optimization bro, 8GB is more then enough!"

The 5700xt wasnt a bad card. Much like the 480, I was disappointment they never offered a high end version. A 5800xt with 12GB of VRAM would have been sweet in 2018.
It's a bit sad that the 5700XT can't keep punching beyond 2024, but tech wise RDNA 1 was not much more than a refresh and shrinking of Vega, things got interesting at RDNA2 and beyond.
I mean, for a 6 year old mid range card, its doing pretty good at 1080p.

"Sure, it doesn't support ray tracing, and opinions will vary on that one, but we think it's safe to say that in 2024 the state of ray tracing on a product such as the RTX 2070/2060 Super is very poor, and not worth using in the vast majority of cases."

Indeed yet it was 2060/2070 selling point and many reviewers kept on mentioning it. Today, it is still not worth in the vast majority of cases. It will only become interesting when RT only games appear and later RT only GPUs.

5700XT was known as the value king of 1440p at the time of its arrival. And it definitely zoomed through at 1080p with high settings.

For a $400 card that did all this, it was remarkable.

I still have it, and yet to sell it after I upgraded.

I upgraded my 5700XT to a 7800XT. (a pretty solid upgrade) We are still using the 5700XT. It's a great card, as is our 2060 Super. The oldest thing we still use is a 780Ti. I think that's an 11 year old card now and it can still play many newer titles at reasonable framerates.

It have been 5 terrible years for the mid range gpu market. You still can't get 2x performance for the same 400 usd, far from it. The 4080 super at 1000 usd is 2x from the 2080 ti at 1200 usd, and that's without considering the dlss advancements.
I still own 5700 non xt. Hopefully the next gen gpus will be worthy of an upgrade

Looking that the charts, the 5700 XT really puts Intel's ARC GPUs in a bad light. Barring the fact that it lacks RT cores and also VRAM, I think the 5700 XT is doing quite well for a GPU that is now at least 5 years old now.

Excellent work Steven, thanks for another very interesting test! I really liked the gameplay impressions!

No mention of the RX6800? They can be had for under $400 now and do quite well. Plus you have the benefit of 16GB of RAM. I bought my RX6800 at the start of the graphics nightmare for $800. It was good to see that it did pretty well in these tests! At least I feel a little better about that purchase. LOL

I had a budget of $300 for a graphics card in early 2020, and the choice appeared to be between an RX 5600 XT and an RTX 2060KO. But then Micro Center put an open box 5700 XT on the shelf, complete with full warranty, return privileges, and even the free game offer that AMD had at the time. (This was just before graphics card pricing exploded due to the pandemic.) Sold, and still looking solid at that price point in 2024 so I think I'll be keeping it for at least one more year.

Excellent work Steven, thanks for another very interesting test! I really liked the gameplay impressions!

No mention of the RX6800? They can be had for under $400 now and do quite well. Plus you have the benefit of 16GB of RAM. I bought my RX6800 at the start of the graphics nightmare for $800. It was good to see that it did pretty well in these tests! At least I feel a little better about that purchase. LOL

The 6800 non-XT seems to be out of stock at reasonable prices, at least in the US.

"but that's in part because the game isn't being fully rendered with many of the textures now missing."

So where's the 8GB gang, shouldnt they be defending this as "its just optimization bro, 8GB is more then enough!"

The 5700xt wasnt a bad card. Much like the 480, I was disappointment they never offered a high end version. A 5800xt with 12GB of VRAM would have been sweet in 2018.

I mean, for a 6 year old mid range card, its doing pretty good at 1080p.
For a card that's now 5 years old, At the price it was sold for, I'd say it's done just fine with 8GB. Also props for picking the single game that had an issue, and not including the next quote.

"Therefore, we went back to the medium preset and enabled FSR quality upscaling. This boosted frame rates to around 80-90 fps, and now the experience was excellent."

Again, not bad for a 5 year old card with a $399 MSRP in 2019 having an issue in one game tested in this suite. I am absolutely not here to defend new 8GB cards with bad prices, like the garbage 8GB 4060Ti still asking $399, or to claim that 8GB is 'more than enough' - because it absolutely isn't. IMO it's reasonable at about $199-$249.

The 6800 non-XT seems to be out of stock at reasonable prices, at least in the US.

For sure, it's always been a difficult card to find new since launch. I did check ebay and found quite a few there. It seems to me AMD knew the card was a good deal and they didn't want it stepping on the 6800XT ($$$) - essentially the same performance.

Back