Acer launches the first 4K display with Nvidia G-Sync

Scorpus

Staff member

If you've recently been building a 4K Ultra HD-ready gaming PC, Acer's latest gamer-oriented 4K display might be of interest to you. The imaginatively-named XB280HK from Acer is a 28-inch 4K panel that most importantly packs Nvidia G-Sync technology, which was announced back in October of last year.

G-Sync allows the display's refresh rate to sync with the graphics card's render rate, eliminating screen tearing and stutter at lower frame rates, while also reducing input lag. The technology does require an Nvidia GeForce GPU to function, as you'd expect for a proprietary Nvidia solution.

Aside from G-Sync support, the XB280HK packs an LED-lit LCD panel with a resolution of 3840 x 2160, 170-degree viewing angles, DisplayPort 1.2 input as well as four USB 3.0 ports. It also comes with Acer's low dimming technology, which turns down the brightness to just 15% while in low light conditions.

For those of you who are environmentally conscious, the XB280HK is made with recycled plastic and is reasonably energy efficient. It comes with an ergonomic stand, labeled "ErgoStand" by Acer, that supports height adjustment and 40-degrees of tilting.

The XB280HK, part of Acer's XB0 line of gaming monitors, will be available sometime in Q2 in the Americas, EMEA, Japan and Taiwan for an undisclosed price.

Permalink to story.

Lets see it took 3-4 290x to run some games well at 4k. So I was going to get the ASUS ROG Swift when it came out and either use GTX780 x 2 SLI or GTX880 x 2 SLI at 2k. But I am ready to start my new build next month and their is no release date announced for either the Swift or the GTX880. Will this monitor work at 2k as well for gaming? I may even use 1080p for desktop or the icons and Browser text would be tiny.

For any PC game G-sync is second to FPS. If the FPS is too low, G-sync won't help it much. And when playing on 4K screens, FPS is the primary issue today.

Also, 170 degree viewing angles are too low for today's LCD panel (178 is the expected standard), it is almost what you get from a TN panel.

But if this thing is really made of reused cardboard and lunch boxes, nothing else should be a surprise.

If the 880's are built on 20nm your prolly looking at 2015 for them so a long time to wait

Looks like a great monitor feature and spec-wise.

Lets see it took 3-4 290x to run some games well at 4k. So I was going to get the ASUS ROG Swift when it came out and either use GTX780 x 2 SLI or GTX880 x 2 SLI at 2k. But I am ready to start my new build next month and their is no release date announced for either the Swift or the GTX880. Will this monitor work at 2k as well for gaming? I may even use 1080p for desktop or the icons and Browser text would be tiny.
The next generation of GPUs are coming out soon, but they wont be 22nm based. AMD is supposedly focusing on power efficiency, and hopefully cooling for their next gen GPU. I would just buy a good 2560x1440 monitor since 4K monitor tech is still in its infancy.

C'mon early adopter folk, stop dragging your feet and scoop this 4K stuff up will you. Prices need to come down so us more restrained and disciplined folk can have them as well and the sooner you chuck your money around the sooner we can step in and buy them at far saner prices not to mention far better specs.

Last edited:
C'mon early adopter folk, stop dragging your feet and scoop this 4K stuff up will you. Prices need to come down so us more restrained and disciplined folk can have them as well and the sooner you chuck your money around the sooner we can step in and buy them at far saner prices not to mention far better specs.

I shall indulge your request! ...just as soon as a worthwhile 4k monitor comes to market; who knows, maybe this Acer could be it!?

I am also waiting for the ROG Swift, They have said they will be announcing more information at computex (starts in a weeks time) about the screen and they've hinted at a release date popping up at the show, I'm hoping for like a late June release and hopefully I can pre-order before hand.

This is needed for this resolution and for a setup where FPS is going to be changing radically (Like a 144hz setup or the likes). If you have this, it will probably make gaming on your likely 780ti, Titan, or Titan Black setup much better in the end run. However this is going to cost an arm and a leg ill bet since its the first of its kind and a 4k display.

For any PC game G-sync is second to FPS. If the FPS is too low, G-sync won't help it much. And when playing on 4K screens, FPS is the primary issue today.
For some reason I am having trouble seeing what you mean.

In my mind G-Sync will be the most noticeable improvement at lower FPS. It is the lower FPS that is making G-Sync a must have tech. If you have a machine that is capable of 100+ FPS, there really is little need for G-Sync.

For some reason I am having trouble seeing what you mean.

In my mind G-Sync will be the most noticeable improvement at lower FPS. It is the lower FPS that is making G-Sync a must have tech. If you have a machine that is capable of 100+ FPS, there really is little need for G-Sync.

There is a range of FPS where G-sync makes a difference. You wouldn't need it at 90+fps, and it won't help much at 10 FPS or below, it still will look unplayable.

There are too many PC-s and games out there that fail to render 10 FPS in 4K resolution. That's all meant.

There is a range of FPS where G-sync makes a difference. You wouldn't need it at 90+fps, and it won't help much at 10 FPS or below, it still will look unplayable.

There are too many PC-s and games out there that fail to render 10 FPS in 4K resolution. That's all meant.
Agreed, one would hope though if someone spent this much on the screen, said one would also invest in more than a single 780... You'd hope :p besides, I bet this screen's refresh rate is maxed out at 60 anyway so g-sync might actually play a very big role if you just had 2 780's as an example.

I am happen with my two ACER Monitors 23-inch HD LED Thin with 1920x1080p, HDMI, DVI, VGA ports on the back. You can hook up 3 different PCs to one monitor. Comes with all the video cables you need. Has mounting pre-drilled holes on the back. Of course 2012 model had 120,000 DC where as the 2013 has 100,000 DC.

4K won't buy it until the need for it..

How much refresh rate with the g-sync and with 3840x2160 resolution? ??

Does it 144hz ??
Or 60 hz ??

again with 3840x2160 resolution!!!!???

Back