Tutorial: Your Privacy

D

DelJo63

Tutorial: Your Privacy
Rule 1:
Y O U are repsonsible for your privacy; don't think this is something that someone else does to protect for you! If you give personal information to anyone or any website, then that's a decision that YOU made and no matter how sensitive that information might be, the recipient is not bound to protect you. Depending upon the crowd you run with, their ethics may or may not match yours, so the decision to give whatever to Joe / Mary Doe is on you.​

Rule 2:
You should always question, "why are they asking for this and how are they going to use it?" Just because someone asks does not mean that they have a right to the information OR can be trusted with it. As an illustration, one website asked for social media information, and without that, the next level request was SSN and/or Passport Id. Ouch! You got to be kidding there - - no way Jose should you give that information to ANYONE! Move on to some other service provider!​

What is Privacy?
Anything that is directly associated with you:
Name & Address
Phone number(s) -- home & cell
SSN , DLN, Passport number
Full name, you, spouse or children​

How about Geolocation?
Recall that Longitude‎: ‎-77.036560, Latitude‎: ‎38.897957 is the equivalent of the address,
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Wash, DC​
then Geolocation is but another form of physical address (aka The White House). So everytime you allow Location services to tag your picture or message, you've also explicitly said "I WAS HERE". Take or send enough and we get to see a pattern of activities, like maybe, every Saturday Noon to 3pm, you are at the park for socker games - - implying you are NOT AT HOME.

You know where you've been, so disable Location Settings especially in those photos!
https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-privacy-exif-weve-met-the-enemy-and-it-are-us.245309/
How about all those postings,
"we're planning a fall trip to New England to see the Trees, Boston and Maine". With only the date of
your first stop on the itenerary, we know when the house will be empty. Sure you want to share it all -- A F T E R you return -- just be cautious beforehand.​

Email -- is that personal?
SURE, but we need at least one public means of contact. It's far more trouble to get a new phone number
than it is to discard and create a new email address - - heck, you can do it for yourself with Gmail.
Personally, I have F I V E email accounts and use each for separate tasks. Two are very private for friends and cellphone access, while others are for specific tasks, like techspot.com

BTW: you don't like having your email spammed, do you; then help protect your friends by NOT using the CC: line, but instead use the BCC: line. It works the same, but to each recepient, it appears that the email was only between them and yourself. If they hit reply or reply all, it doesn't matter and just the two of you chat away like rabbits. Your "friend" can't make a mistake and compromise your email!​

I like the article but I dont quite get the CC and BCC part, what difference does it make if someone sees or doesnt see the email???

If you CC then everyone on the list has everyone else's email addresses. If you BCC then it's a Blind Carbon Copy and only the people in the To: and CC: sections have their email addresses exposed. There is an etiquette to using each (To, CC, BCC) both in and out of the workplace and they vary slightly.

You have a circle of friends - - each of them have their circles too. If the distribution list (aka CC) is visible, then all of your circle becomes known each to the other, and that's not always a wise thing to do. It is possible that two on your list are unbeknownst to you antagonistic towards one another!

It's possible that your email is just so juicy that one or more in your circle decide to forward your mail to members of THEIR circle and all those emails are now seen by 10x more readers. Do you like having your email given away to those you don't know?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you CC then everyone on the list has everyone else's email addresses. If you BCC then it's a Blind Carbon Copy and only the people in the To: and CC: sections have their email addresses exposed. There is an etiquette to using each (To, CC, BCC) both in and out of the workplace and they vary slightly.
I know that one but in the article, yeah I just figured sorry you jeopardize the privacy of the person in the mail

It's a good article, but there are no steps of achieving privacy on Internet. Lots of apps collect our data and then can pass it to third parties. So how should we behave in order to be really private?

It's a good article, but there are no steps of achieving privacy on Internet. Lots of apps collect our data and then can pass it to third parties. So how should we behave in order to be really private?
Your choices determine the outcome on this. You want/demand privacy?? Then DON'T participate, Post to social media, or create online moniker (like Netfox). But sheez, then you don't get much beyond CNN News! The more you participate, the more you divulge about yourself -- and it's really your own fault.

If you can't live w/o Facebook or Twitter, then read all you can one each site as how to manage the settings. Create the smallest groups you can and set specific sharing controls for each, aka:
  • family
  • our friends
  • workmates
  • socials
Assuming you have blacksheep and whitesheep like the rest of us, perhaps family is just too broad to (sigh)

If you use shutterfly.com, then perhaps restricting to just Those with the Url might be sufficient (but over time your links will be shared and you will loose control somewhere)

Somewhat new issue: Sharing Location.

Collect enough Location + Date info and someone can predict where you will be and when!
Every app using/providing location data is in the settings. Additionally, the phone itself has location data that need adjustment.

I'm an iPhone user (so someone with Android can followup for those settings):

Settings->Privacy->Location Services(for the phone itself)
Options are, Never, Ask Next Time, While Using the App
Here's my list for While Using the App:​
App Store, Chrome, Find My, GoMetro, Google, InRoute, Maps, QuickMap, Safari,​
System Service->​
Cell Network Search, Emergency Find My Phone, Location Alerts, Time Zone, WiFi Calling​

All others set to never.

Whenever you get a major update for iOS, you'll need to review your Privacy choices

Back