Samsung 970 evo plus 500gb low iops

After doing a benchmark in the latest samsung magician I am getting the following random iop figures

Read 278564
Write 282470

I have also attached a couple of other benchmarks I've done.

I chose this over the pro and normal evo pretty much because the write iops were alot more 550k+, of course upto, but numbers are about half way there.

I have looked at some videos on youtube of people benching this drive and getting similar results, even with the bigger drives...

What gives? is this thing faulty? I would expect a result pretty close to stated but the other benchmarks I've done tell me its running pretty much as it should be.

my system
gigabyte z390 auros pro

Is there a better benchmarking tool I can try which will definitely reassure me its working as it should be? So I don't have to return it, as this is my current thinking.

Advertising 550k iops but getting 278k seems like a bit of a con to me personally.

Attachments

• cryts.png
    cryts.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    187.6 KB · Views: 3
  • sam.jpg
    sam.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 3
Samsung’s figures for the M.2 970 EVO 500GB:

So your sequential values look spot on but as for the IOPS, well they can be affected by all kinds of things: nvme mode in BIOS, CPU throttling during test, Samsung drivers not installed, and so on. Start with the easiest one to test - drivers:

It had the latest driver installed for the bench, my board also has the latest bios which doesnt have any configurable options for nvme so there is nothing to tweak there.

I did find a video on youtube of someone benching the larger capacity drive with similar iops, very odd.

@ 05:20

Other than configuring the SSD for performance in Magician, there’s probably not a lot else you can tweak it would seem. Personally I wouldn’t worry the IOPS, as it’s affected by far more than just the SSD. Samsung’s are “up to” just in the same way that Nvidia claim a peak of 11 TFLOPs for a graphics card, for example - theoretically possible but , practically hard to achieve in most situations.

Other than configuring the SSD for performance in Magician, there’s probably not a lot else you can tweak it would seem. Personally I wouldn’t worry the IOPS, as it’s affected by far more than just the SSD. Samsung’s are “up to” just in the same way that Nvidia claim a peak of 11 TFLOPs for a graphics card, for example - theoretically possible but , practically hard to achieve in most situations.
Fair enough but thats not how I look at it. I purchased this over others because of the higher iops and I am getting half of what is advertised. So I'm going to return it.

Back