Please decipher this

learninmypc

A friend gave me a Dell desktop telling me ONLY it don't have Windows. I thought that meant it could have Linux. Long story short, what does this screen shot mean, WHITE Lettering on black back.
Initializing Intel (R) Boot Agent GE v 1,3.35
PXE 2.1 Build 087 (WfM 2. 0)
Inter (R) Boot Agent GE v 1.3.35
Copywrite (C) 1997- 2009, Intel Corporation
PXE - E61 : Media test failure, check cable
PXE - M0F :Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
No boot device available -
strike F1 for retry boot, F2for setup utility
Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics
Intel (R) & it repeats above info,.

Last edited:
PXE - E61 : Media test failure
You need to change the Boot Device selection in the BIOS (hopefully)

1)PXE is the boot from network choice (eg: Ethernet) and it is failing (almost 99% of the time that is true)

2) you should be using a boot order of HD, CD, Network and if the partition is good, it will boot fine. Otherwise (a bad partition or failed install) you might see the PXE as there's nothing else available.

Yeah hit that F2 button then set the boot disk to a drive, if you don't see an SSD/HD someone removed it. This is probably what he meant by "it don't have Windows" it also "don't have the drive Windows was on".

Here's a picture showing where the connectors go.

ch000706-hdd-check-connections.jpg

Ok, I think I’m Reading this correctly,
Onboard or USB floppy drive
Onboard SATA hard drive
Onboard or usb cd -rom drive
Onboard network controller
USB device
All are checked.
As I was rehooking it up just now I saw a sticker on it saying no operating system, I’m Guessing no matter what order I get it in, with no os, I ain’t going anywhere ?

"STICKER" ? looks to be clear; but as noted booting using F2 will give you a chance to verify there's NO HD and/or NO Boot Partition

Are you reading 'onboard sata' from the BIOS?
If you need a Windows 10 installation disc, go here ~> (Link) Use the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC
Read the directions to make the USB drive from the ISO, it's simple.

• Shut the computer down.
  • RE-start the computer and hit F1 or F2 (or F12) or Del to enter the BIOS
  • Set the Boot drive to the USB.
  • Save and exit BIOS (F10)
  • Pc will restart and boot from USB
  • Windows installation should begin.
If you don't have a sticker an activation key for Win10 Pro is about $12

"PXE - E61 : Media test failure, check cable "

It's trying to boot from a server. Open desktop. Inspect for HDD. Inspect for DVD. May have neither. If settings are properly set AND you can mount boot media, it should just run fine.

PXE - The Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) is an industry standard client/server interface that allows networked computers that are not yet loaded with an operating system to be configured and booted remotely by an administrator.

I'm not getting notifications for this so I will simply say I am trying ti find out how to open it up to look inside to see if there is a harddrive. If none, no $$$ to do anything with it so ????

SATA, PCIe, and M.2 connections wouldn't be that difficult. However if your drive is embedded, that will be difficult. Unless you know how to identify all the embedded chips on the motherboard.

Dell desktop. Has 3 screws on backside I removed, then there is a spring loaded "thing" I pull back but of course it snaps back.Will continue trying

Reg Model DCCY A: 3.55/1.8A
reg type 0805553 HZ: 56/60

No, I haven't looked for a manual online yet, I doubt I'd find out for his Dell Vista Business OEMA ct

There is what looks like a harddrive in it, will have to wait till tomorrow in better light to check it out.

Ok, I've removed harddrive & put it back in. I believe it is connected properly, its a barracuda seagate gigantic 80 gb (lol) . In my messing with laptops/computers over time, I think what has happened here is the Harddrive has crashed, thus No boot device available - .
ALI was going to use this for for storing pictures & videos on it.It would never go online.
No $$ to do anything with it except maybe a door stop.

I think what has happened here is the Harddrive has crashed, thus No boot device available
That is usually the case when one stops booting and presents that message.

However to be certain I usually connect the drive to another machine. See if the drive presents the same errors on a different machine. You can use that as confirmation.

Back