BSOD Errors, No Idea of Cause

Dull Secondary

My build
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
GPU: Radeon R9 380
PSU: CORSAIR RMx White Series RM850x White (CP-9020188-NA) 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified
Storage: Intel 660p Series M.2 2TB
System: Win10

What I've tried:
  • DDU
  • memory tests (Using windows memory test and on another system)
  • storage test (Using windows built in tools and Seatools)
  • driver reinstallation
  • updating BIOS
  • reinstalling Win10
  • finding physical damage to components (none)

Here are my BSOD codes:
  • IRQL Not Less or Equal
  • DPC Watchdog Violation
  • System Service Exception
  • Kernel Security Check Failure
  • Kernel Auto Boost Lock Acquisition With Raised IRQL
  • Driver Overran Stack Buffer
  • Kmode Exception Not Handled
  • Critical Process Died
  • Kernel Auto Boost Invalid Lock Release
  • Page Fault in Nonpaged Area
  • Interrupt Exception not Handled
  • Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap
  • APC Index Mismatch
  • IRQL GT Zero at System Service
  • Attempted Write to Readonly Memory

I've had these issues since last year that I've built this system. I searched forums regarding similar issues, but no one had errors like mine. I plan to upgrade my GPU in the near future, but until that I want to find out what is making my system BSOD so often. I built a friend the same system (they opted for different PSU and GPU) and they are not experiencing any problems. The BSOD occur no matter what I'm doing (I.e. browsing on internet, watching videos, streaming, gaming, writing this post, and sometimes when I just boot it up). I checked for physical damage to the components and found nothing out of place.

Memory.dmp links:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eL-kxZmUh1YrDu0_eUnnNl_dfpYgvQ9C/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jA_YmdgrrxBesrMqa6Cbt-uwnJ2FxNVV/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SupOP5AFfbCtlhv6ITqQ4l0uSCX8RB32/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I have had lots of problems with Corsair memory not working out of the box. You didn't list a part number for that RAM but you should get that and check the motherboard's QVL. If it is on the QVL with an exact part# match, make note of the speed it was tested at (It may not be 3200MHz). The lazy man way to figure this out is to override the motherboard and just set the memory at 2133MHz (default DDR4 speed) ....just as a test for stability. If the BSODs go away you know you are on the right track. I have a sneaky feeling you will be stable around 2666 to 2933MHz

Ohhh one more thing. Each time your crash, you run the risk of corrupting Windows so there is a chance your install of Windows is already suffering. You may have to set 2133MHz and rebuild one more time...drivers ..patching etc..before you run any serious stability tests.

I'm not too tech savvy with these things like over/underclocking and stuff.

list a part number for that RAM
The part model is the one that I bought off the site right? Then it should be CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R.

If it is on the QVL with an exact part# match, make note of the speed it was tested at (It may not be 3200MHz).
I'm not too sure what I'm supposed to look at for the QVL. This is the mobo's website https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver

I'm not too tech savvy with these things like over/underclocking and stuff.

The part model is the one that I bought off the site right? Then it should be CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R.

I'm not too sure what I'm supposed to look at for the QVL. This is the mobo's website https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver

OK is see that RAM kit on the QVL for your CPU so you are good there. Now try 2133MHz as a test for stability. You may have to rebuild it once more because it got corrupted from all the crashes but I believe you will be stable if you stay at 2133MHz ...just for test purposes. If the crashing has stopped then you safely revisit overclocking your memory (Any memory running faster than 2133 is considered overclocking). The XMP profile is supposed to make that easy for you but I too, have had trouble getting Corsair memory to run fast out of the box.

I checked in the bios and my ram seem to be already running at 2133mhz, xmp profile is disabled. I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do here.

Last edited:
OK next step is test that memory (maybe something is wrong with a stick?). I use:

You will need to make a bootable USB drive and with that USB drive inserted from BIOS you can do a selective boot to boot from the USB drive instead of the SSD. If it give you any trouble, where you can't boot from the USB drive you could always power down, unplug the power and disconnect the SSD temporarily as you run this test. It takes a while but if see red errors you know you have a problem stick(s).

I'm even more confused now that memtest86 showed no errors.

Attachments

• memtest86.png
    memtest86.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 8
  • memtest86 2.png
    memtest86 2.png
    18 KB · Views: 8
So memory is OK then eh? You mentioned you built one for a friend with a different GPU and they are OK? Maybe that is the end to work from now because this happens during gaming. Time to swap in a different graphics card.

So memory is OK then eh? You mentioned you built one for a friend with a different GPU and they are OK? Maybe that is the end to work from now because this happens during gaming. Time to swap in a different graphics card.
Not only do I BSOD from gaming. It occurs when I'm just browsing the web/social media. I don't have another gpu to work with at the moment, but I do plan on upgrading my current one in the near future to a rtx3000 series.

If you go with the current RTX 3080 then you are going to want more motherboard and CPU ..more RAM etc.. to do that card justice.

Maybe you can get that friend card just for a test? You just need a known-good card ...if you can achieve stability then you know your culprit

If you go with the current RTX 3080 then you are going to want more motherboard and CPU ..more RAM etc.. to do that card justice.
I do plan on further upgrades to the rest of the components later down the line. Just want something that is up to date than use a 5 year old gpu.
Maybe you can get that friend card just for a test? You just need a known-good card ...if you can achieve stability then you know your culprit
I'm in a bad relation with them now.

Is there a way to test the gpu for errors like memtest86?
I'll see if anyone I know has a spare gpu.

Putting your GPU in a known-good working machine is a good test. I would imagine any graphical test I could give you would just crash like all the games that crash for you. It won't be very telling right?

Oh and Blue Screen Viewer from Nirsoft (Free) will help you look at those Memdumps
I'm seeing repeated cause by driver is ntoskrnl.exe, one by hal.dll, and another by vrtaucbl.sys (this one is from virtual audio cable). Aside from the last one it seems like it was due to memory from what I looked up.

That virtual audio cable one prob. relates to the graphics card. I think that is where to work from next. The first two are part of the Windows Kernel they are just casualties of war. Gotta get a graphics card next. Maybe you can get one from a retailer that has a generous return policy?

Until I get a gpu or get someone to test mine is there anything else that I could do?
Someone had me do this in admin cmd, sfc /scannow.
The result that came up said it fixed corrupted files, but it's just a potential fix.

System File Checker finding corrupted files does not surprise me because of all the crashes. You might have to rebuild many times until you find the bad piece of hardware. It could be the PSU...swap that out....it could even be the motherboard ...no easily swapped out. Welcome to IT...this is what we do all day. =)

Oh and maybe it is bad NVMe M.2 SSD..or a bad CPU (I have seen only one bad AMD CPU in my career, it was a X6 1050 and it caused BSOD). I had a guy a few months back that put his Ryzen 2700x into a Gigabyte B450M DS3H and didn't lift the retention mechanism up all the way so that the CPU was in all the way but he mounted the stock cooler on it. It worked for 2 months that way with the cooler pushing the cpu down into the socket to well enough to make contact until one day..it didn't POST anymore. After the CPU was mounted properly and re-pasted the motherboard had a damaged memory channel so it would only read half of any memory kit I put in there. The customer decided to live with his mistake and just use half the memory.

So update on the virtual audio cable crash:
Another person also helping me also pointed out the virtual audio cable crash. I had an older version of this program and it was a bit wonky at times. So I got it updated to the most recent version, hopefully this might also be a fix.

Update:
After a long wait, countless BSODs and a few hiccups here and there, I finally got a new GPU (RTX 2080 Super).
I made sure to ddu old drivers, installed new drivers, I still have BSODs.
So far they're:
Kernel Auto Boost Invalid Lock Release
Kernel Lock Entry Leaked on Thread

Ok cool..so now that you have a crashed a billion times it is probably time for a fresh rebuild. When it first comes up have it disconnected from the Internet but have your drivers handy and ready to go on a flash drive or removable hard drive. Get the chipset driver right from AMD. Google search X470 chipset driver to find it. Download the Nvidia driver for the RTX 2080 right from their site directly. Get the rest of the drivers from the Gigabyte site for your board. Do the chipset first and reboot. Do the Nvidia graphics driver and reboot then do all the other drivers in any order (When you do audio will it reboot and install on the next boot automatically but a very long delay before it starts). Once you have done all that then connect to the Internet and let it chew on Microsoft updates. You can monitor that by typing ..check for updates on the search bar. You eventually want it to be patched to Windows 10 2004. You can type ....winver on the search bar to check what version you have.

I am going to assume you have not crashed the whole time so then you can start with the testing and installing games if you like. Let me know how you make out. If the same crashing happens again you have to look at other hardware and it gets harder from there because you need known good CPU...known good motherboard etc...No reason for you to live with it. You have to find the culprit. Board out of the box and sitting on a rubber mat or the motherboard box lets you get a good look at it. It could be even a case of the CPU not sitting all the way down into the socket 100%

I'm having difficulty updating to 1903 after reinstalling win10. I had to use something called windows update assistant since windows keeps failing the update. But even then, during updates where it restarts it would randomly bsod and undo hours of waiting. I'm just gonna try everything again from the beginning.

The gpu drivers aren't compatible with an old version of windows either. So I'll need to update windows before I get gpu drivers

Last edited:
Yes. You need a newer version of Windows...1909 minimum ..ideally just go to 2004 because the next one is coming out already.

Back