Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.
Based on the powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
This project is mature. However, there may be still some bugs and missing features that are being worked on. If you have any questions or suggestions about this project, please post them in the forums. Also, if you wish to make a feature request, you can post it there as well. But there's no guarantee that I'll implement your request.
You're encouraged to translate Notepad++ into your native tongue if there's not already a translation present in the Binary Translations page. And if you want, help translating Notepad++ official site into your native tongue would be greatly appreciated.
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting
- Regular Expression Search/Replace supported
- Full Drag ‘N' Drop supported
- Dynamic position of Views
- File Status Auto-detection
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Multi-Language environment supported
- Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting
- Macro recording and playback
- Fix failure of erasing & saving server logs (of network drive) regression. (Fix #10794)
- Fix dark mode not working on Windows 10 2H22. (Fix #10810)
- Fix crash in regex search. (Fix #10773, #10803)
- Fix UDL folding breaking with delimiters issue if UNIX EOL applied. (Fix #350, #2873, #3372, #5499)
- Fix UDL generic dark mode via UDL UI not working issue. (Fix #10781)
- Fix disabling alternative icons on tab in dark mode issue. (Fix #10775)
Previous release notes
- Fix a regression of saving problem. (Fix #10751)
- Fix a regression of reloading false alarm from the network drive. (Fix #10688, #10753, #10757)
- Make Function list/Project panel/Folder as Workspace icon display correct under high DPI. (Implementation)
- Make UDL generic dark mode (working for all dark theme) possible via UDL UI. (Implement #10738)
- Fix phantom docked panels issue after restoring from systray. (Fix #10512)
- Enable backup on save (simple) feature by default (only for the new installation). (Implement #10725)
- Fix empty file not being saved regression. (Fix #10667)
- Fix white flash in dark mode on CMD launch with position parameters. (Fix #10657)
- Enhance dark themes for some programming languages (JSON, Python & Makefile). (Fix #10648)
- Fix “Run macro until the end of file” command skipping the last line issue. (Fix #10441)
- Fix tooltip layout and position in RTL mode. (Fix #10646)
- Fix docking problem for dockable panel in RTL mode. (Fix #10641)
- Fix NUL file-corruption issue after system shutting down brutally. (Fix #6133)
- Fix session lost issue after MS update restarting Windows. (Fix #10402)
- Make Markdown UDL work in every dark theme. (Fix #10593)
- Fix file can be marked as saved even it’s been deleted outside. (Fix #10401)
- Fix status bar text display glitchy in dark mode. (Fix #10564)
- Fix white flash on Notepad++ startup in dark mode issue. (Fix #10601)
- Fix docked window sizing direction problem in RTL mode. (Fix #10536)
- Fix floating panel movement issue in RTL mode. (Fix #10579)
- Fix Print GUI bug in Preferences dialog. (Fix #10552)
Note: Notepad++ 7.9.2 is the last version to run on Windows XP.
Software similar to Notepad++ 22
Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. You'll love the slick user interface, extraordinary features and amazing performance.
- Free to Try
A source code editor for Windows, Linux and macOS. It includes support for debugging, Git control, syntax highlighting, intelligent code completion, snippets, and code refactoring.
Plugin Manager allows you to install, update and remove plugins from Notepad++.
A hackable text editor for the 21st Century.
More similar downloads