T-Mobile claims to have overtaken AT&T as #2 wireless provider in the US

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? T-Mobile doesn’t appear to be struggling in the post-Legere era. The disruptive wireless carrier in its second quarter earnings report said its total customer count now sits at 98.3 million, which it claims is enough to put it ahead of AT&T in terms of “total branded customers across both postpaid and prepaid.”

This is the first quarter for the “New T-Mobile,” the company created as a result of the merger between T-Mobile and Sprint. The coming together of the two carriers also explains the sudden jump in customers. Last quarter, as standalone T-Mobile, the company reported just 68.5 million customers.

AT&T, who reported its second quarter earnings late last month, said it had 74.9 million postpaid customers and 18 million prepaid customers for a total of 92.9 million postpaid and prepaid customers. Indeed, that’s fewer than the New T-Mobile’s 98.3 million.

As The Verge highlights, however, T-Mobile didn’t factor in AT&T’s “reseller” or “connected devices” categories which finished the quarter with 6.7 million and 71.8 million connections, respectively. But then again, T-Mobile’s accounting didn’t seem to include similar categories, either.

For the quarter, T-Mobile reported total revenue of $17.7 billion with a net income of $110 million, the latter of which was down significantly from the $939 million in the year-ago quarter due to merger-related costs, Covid-19 costs and other impairment charges.

Image courtesy Kobby Dagan

Permalink to story.

I just wish they had better connectivity. I have att since it seems to be much better here in Cinci and during travel but god do I hate att. They are dirty greedy losers.
I have TMobile and it's connectivity is.... acceptable. I'm rarely without phone service, but I can walk 100 feet, lose internet, walk 100 more and have full bars. Still, my bill is half my ATT bill so I'm willing to deal with all of that. Also, their customer service that is world's better than ATT. I call T-Mobile customer service and I'm talking to a person in a few minutes. When I quit ATT they were well into that 100% automated support crap.

I agree my TMobile does t always have service but unlike ATT and Verizon TMobile treats me like a human. Case in point I had Verizon but my paycheck was delayed and they where unwilling to give me a deferment of two weeks, they turned off my cell and charged me fees relating to it, when I asked TMobile the same question because I got laid off and was waiting for unemployment they referred payment for a month by setting up two payment plans to pay the following billing cycle and never turned it off, because they understood life happens. They created a loyal customer while Verizon ensured I'll never recommend them to anyone. I tried to use ATT once, because of my credit score being non existent they wanted an upfront $600 deposit ontop of the the first monthly payment to which also killed any desire to be their customer either.

Back