Microphone is picking up output audio that my headset is receiving

I have a problem that I hope can be fixed. I just recently bought a new computer and I did not have the same issue on the old computer (which was XP). The one I have now is Windows 7 64 bit home premium. Same headset and everything. Not using a sound card either, just using an integrated one.

The problem I am having is this: when talking to someone in Skype, my microphone is somehow picking up any output audio that my headset is receiving. For example when I'm playing any game or listening to music and talking to someone, they can hear everything that is happening with crystal clearness. This was not happening on my old computer with the same headset. So I'm guessing it's a Windows 7 thing but I have combed every option and I just don't know what to do. They say it sounds like I'm not even using a headset at all and people tell me to turn off my speakers and put on my headset all the time when this isn't the case!

It's not because my sound is on max either, if I have the sound at 20% they hear it at the exact same level on top of listening to me talk. I have combed tons of forums and even found another thread with the same issue, but it was outdated from 2 years ago and no fixes for Windows 7.

I realllly need some help. Any is appreciated.

That does make it stop, yes. But it mutes everything, so I can't hear the music and/or whatever video game I'm playing as soon as I call someone. Pvping on WoW for example requires that I play with sound and be talking to someone on Skype.

Nice try though. :(

Im reviving this thread since I have the exact same problem.

I've tried both disabling stereo mix and enabling it but having it muted. None of it worked.

it sounds like your sound driver is to set to "everything you hear" or something like that.

OK, I don't have an example in front of me right now because I'm remembering a computer setup I had years ago.

I had a ATI Radeon AIW 9700 Pro video card with a TV turner build into it. I also had a Creative Audigy sound card. To record a TV program with audio I had to set the recording part of the sound driver to "Everything You Hear" or something like that; it's been a LONG time, and I don't remember exactly what the situation was. The TV recording would also have ambient sounds from the room my computer was in unless I unplugged my mic. I suspect you have a similar issue with your sound card, but probably not the same hardware. That's all I remember. You'll have to take a look at the recording part of your sound card driver and see if you have something similar.

same problem driving me nut not being able to listen to music while on team speak

MSI 970A-G45 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ Motherboard
on board sound
turtle beach x12 head set

it does the same thing with starcraft 2

Figured it out for me at least lots of google searching everyone is talking about this stereo mix option im like wtf where is this searching all the WINDOWS options when I should have been looking in realtek device advanced settings
check the option separate all input jacks as independent input jacks
Untitled2-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Was having the same issues with my Turtle Beach x12 headset, I found a way to fix it on my computer though.

Right clicked my mixer at the bottom right>recording devices>(my microphone) properties>levels tab> Then disabled the microphone boost by dragging it to 0.0dB

I'm running on vista btw, hopefully this can help some people out.

Having the same problem, haven't found any solution I dont know if it's realtek or the bios. Using win XP, tried through volume control to adjust the mic output to default settings, it already is but when I go to master volume>options> properties>recording>Realtek HD Audio input, the recording control, mic, CD and line volume and stereo mix are all ticked and when I go ok none of them is available for change all of them are grey.

I know this is a bit late to the post, but do you have a webcam by chance? You system may have your webcam mic on by default and your system is picking up both mics. I was setting up my X12's to my work PC and everyone said it sounded like I was in a tunnel. Turning off my webcam mic did the trick.

Got it!
figured it out for me at least lots of google searching everyone is talking about this stereo mix option im like wtf where is this searching all the WINDOWS options when I should have been looking in realtek device advanced settings
check the option separate all input jacks as independent input jacks
Untitled2-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg
This works for me Thank you!!!!!!

I was having the same problem as well. What fixed it for me was unplugging the USB power cord from my computer and plugging it into an outlet instead. Apparently it was causing feedback on my motherboard which caused the distortion and the sound playing back through my mic.

I was having the same problem as well. What fixed it for me was unplugging the USB power cord from my computer and plugging it into an outlet instead. Apparently it was causing feedback on my motherboard which caused the distortion and the sound playing back through my mic.
Thankyou man, you are absolutely AWESOME!!!! I have now plugged in my x12's usb plug into a cheap generic portable battery bank and it worked a charm. If anyone is having the same issue, please try this trick! :)

I Am having the same problem with my lenovo y5070 laptop running realtek .. cant find any solution the Manager that you posted a picture of is not the same I have and I dont have the same options I think this is kinda post digging but I really need help

I Am having the same problem with my lenovo y5070 laptop running realtek .. cant find any solution the Manager that you posted a picture of is not the same I have and I dont have the same options I think this is kinda post digging but I really need help
Ok man so what I did was search Realtek in the windows search thing and then clicked on the HD audio manager that popped up. Then I went to advanced Settings in the top right, and hit Seperate all input jacks as independent devices. Then I had to reselect it as my default device and stuff bla bla bla. And then I just right clicked on the Speaker Phone icon in the task bar bottom right, and then hit Recording Devices. I went into the properties of it by right clicking again. Then I raised the Mic volume to 100 (first meter/bar) and then the bass boost to 0.00 DB.
Then I put DC Offset, Noise Suppresion and Acoustic echo cancellation on.
This reduced my echo in my mic and made me sound alot better, however I had to move the microphone closer to my mouth rather than having it stay above my head like before.

For me it was my noise suppression had been unticked and that fixed it.

A friend of mine had a very similar problem with his machine, The realtek driver was on windows 10, Maybe it was just because it was newer driver so it did not have the "advanced" settings. Anyway turned out to be the "Acoustic Echo Cancellation" feature. gl

Hey, I think I got it. I have realtek hd audio manager and from settings you just activate ''Mute the internal outbut device, when external headphone plugged in

I found a fix! after all this time ( 1 year) that I always had to listen things at minimum so my mates don't hear what I'm looking at, I decided to go on google and search this for the 100th time, and I found myself stumbling upon someone saying that the realtek driver is the problem, and I disabled it, and restarted my pc, I couldn't even hear anything and y mic was not working, enabled it back, and I saw that I have 3 drivers, which was weird, I had realtek, nvidia high definition and I think the standard windows one, and I disabled the nvidia high definition driver, and it's fixed, thank ****ing god! it wasn't even that hard, and I've searched for this fix for so long and no one said anything, if you have nvidia driver for sounds, disable it, if you don't disable them one by one, DO NOT UNINSTALL, and see what you get!

So I fixed it for me for the time being. what I did was open my device manager and uninstalled every realtek and nvidia driver in my audio tab and then restarted the computer and let it update and reinstall them. no I can use my headset without any of my incoming sounds being broadcasted. basically a factory reset aimed at my audio drivers.

First, thank you for this post it helped as I have had tons of mic issues ever since I changed my mic using Windows 7. I use Morph Vox pro for gaming and could not get it to work right as it uses a separate driver then the normally audio driver for my Realtek. I tried installing the new audio driver and bam ... now my speakers do not work ... ok ... got the old disc out and loaded the old driver got speakers back. So back to the original problem ... using the Morph Vox driver I am getting very low volume levels and the Morph Vox sounds scratchy. Ok... so I see this post and I go into Realtek and change the setting to "Separate all input Jacks ..." as stated above ... I reboot ... ok, best sound ever in the headset good ...
Now for the last problem ...
I have my speaks with a bit of tape on them next to the monitor... why is that important ... so I hit that tape with my hand today and in the headset, I hear it the tape making a crackling sound ... Also, others in discord are speaking to me and they are keying my mic when I am open voice comms. So ... the problem is that when others speak and or there are sounds around my external speakers are feeding into my headset and keying my mic in open comms ....exhausting ...

Back