M2N68-LA (Narra6) motherboard PCIe slots

Can anyone tell me if the Compaq Presario CQ5320Y with motherboard M2N68 (Narra6) has PCI-Express slots that are 2.0? I want to install a VisionTek 3.0 USB 4 Port card, but it recommends a 2.0 slot. I am assuming it will work with an older version - just not at full capacity. Also is it better to get a card that gets power from the slot or from a cable? I know - I know it's an old system - why bother? All I can say is it still works pretty good for what I need it for.

I already have one - but I want the faster 3.0 USB for HD Camera 1080p. The specs on the VisionTek card I want to use says it will work with 1.0 but that it would have better performance with 2.0. I just wasn't sure what version my motherboard had. Thanks for your reply!

PCI Express 1.0a has a peak bandwidth of 250 MB/s for a 1x slot; with 2.0 it’s double that value.

USB 2.0 is 60 MB/s and 3.0 is 500 MB/s, for their theoretical peak bandwidths. So a USB 3.0 hub is definitely better in a PCIe 2.0 slot, but since a 1.0a slot is definitely better than USB 2.0, I better retract my recommendation of using an external hub! ?

PCI Express 1.0a has a peak bandwidth of 250 MB/s for a 1x slot; with 2.0 it’s double that value.

USB 2.0 is 60 MB/s and 3.0 is 500 MB/s, for their theoretical peak bandwidths. So a USB 3.0 hub is definitely better in a PCIe 2.0 slot, but since a 1.0a slot is definitely better than USB 2.0, I better retract my recommendation of using an external hub! ?
Thanks neeyik - yes as long as I gain some bandwith adequate for an HD cam I will be happy!

Do you think it would be better to use a card with power supplied by the slot or powered by a cable?

Depends on the USB card. PCI Express 1.0a 1x can supply a maximum of 10W, with a maximum of 9.9W coming from the 3.3V line and a maximum of 6W from the 12V line (max combined is still 10W).

One USB 3.0 socket is designed to supply a maximum of 4.5W (5V) in normal conditions (it can do more if the hub is designed to charge devices), so if only ever plan to use the card for 1 USB item, then the slot power alone will suffice. However, if you ever need to use more devices on the card, it might be prudent to use a power cable. Check the specs of the camera to see what its power requirements are.

Depends on the USB card. PCI Express 1.0a 1x can supply a maximum of 10W, with a maximum of 9.9W coming from the 3.3V line and a maximum of 6W from the 12V line (max combined is still 10W).

One USB 3.0 socket is designed to supply a maximum of 4.5W (5V) in normal conditions (it can do more if the hub is designed to charge devices), so if only ever plan to use the card for 1 USB item, then the slot power alone will suffice. However, if you ever need to use more devices on the card, it might be prudent to use a power cable. Check the specs of the camera to see what its power requirements are.
Thanks again for the info - I think I will go with the one that utilizes a power cable just to be safe!

Back