Left click delete file problem

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite D655 series model laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit system. Recently for no apparent reason when I left click
on any file or shortcut it wants to delete said file. It takes an annoying amount of time and trouble to repeatedly close "No" or the "X" in the upper right
window of the confirm delete widow to get the delete file confirmation box to close. If I enter into the task manager there's no less that 50 "delete shortcut" processes running when this happens. It's not a hardware problem because it occurs with my usb marble mouse or the built in touchpad on my
machine. Have made multiple scans with different antivirus/malware tools, plus FRST, etc. and everything checks out O.K.
Had this problem once before and managed to correct it after a moment of inspiration but cannot remember now what I did.
Please advise. I can work around this issue but it's very annoying and really needs to be corrected, IMHO.
Thanks,
Michael

The "delete" when accessing a shortcut typically means it is NOT pointing to the correct location. Right-Click->Properties and you will see where it ONCE WAS LOCATED.

Your only choice is to delete the shortcut and create a new one from the correct location.

jobeard,

Your interpretation of my problem is completely incorrect.
There's nothing wrong with any of my shortcuts or files. Everything is just
as it should be in that regard.
The problem is, as I've stated, whenever I left click, or even if I hover over a file or
shortcut, the window opens asking whether or not I really want to send that item to the
recycle bin.
What I may have neglected to say is that, when this occurs if I open the task manager I find no less than 50 windows have opened as per the above. I can stop/close each window separately using the task manager, but this is exceedingly tedious and time consuming... not to mention being a royal pain in the ***!
The problem is not hardware related as I use a Logitech marble mouse, and even if
I use the touchpad on my laptop (which I happen to hate) the same thing occurs.
This happens no matter where I'm at in my operating system, I.e. My Documents, Desktop, My Downloads, etc.
I can open items from my quick launch toolbar without incident.
I'm inclined to think the problem may be in the registry, or a corrupted file in my operating system. I've scanned my OS using multiple scanners, anti-virus, Windows defender, etc. all to no avail, and without showing any problems, whatsoever.
Can you suggest any other means by which I might regain the proper functioning of
my OS, outside of a complete reinstallation of my OS?
Thanks, in advance, for your time, attention and trouble.
Michael

whenever I left click, or even if I hover over a file or
shortcut, the window opens asking whether or not I really want to send that item to the
recycle bin.
Well, that correlates with my answer. If my solution doesn't impact the outcome -- I can only apologize.

Back