Honda is recalling 608,000 US vehicles due to software and hardware failures

Polycount

Staff
In brief: Honda today announced that it will be recalling over 600,000 vehicles due to software problems. The cars included in the recall include 2018-2020 Honda Odysseys, 2019-2020 Passports, and 2019-2021 Pilots. Affected customers will begin receiving notifications regarding the recall starting in late September.

Honda is announcing these recalls ahead of time to both inform customers, and encourage them to check if their specific car model is included in the recall. If you're a Honda owner, you can accomplish the latter via the company's official recall website right here.

As we noted before, most of these issues are software-related: software controlling the speedometer display and the rearview camera can apparently cause "potential malfunctions" for both systems. These malfunctions include temporary shutdowns and delayed responses, each of which poses safety concerns if left unchecked.

With that said, two more serious hardware-related problems are also covered by this recall. In 2019-2020 and 2018-2020 Honda Odysseys, "durability issues" may cause the rearview camera assemblies to malfunction, preventing drivers from seeing what's behind them.

Furthermore, the "outer handle cables" on newer Odysseys can freeze over in colder temperatures, "hindering proper cable movement" and potentially even stopping the doors from closing entirely. As Honda says, "An unlatched sliding door could open while the vehicle is in motion, increasing the chance of injury to passengers."

Honda says there have been "no reports" of injuries, or even crashes related to these faulty (or potentially faulty) mechanisms, but the company clearly feels that it's better to be safe than sorry in this case.

If you are the owner of an impacted vehicle, you'll be able to take your car to any authorized Honda dealer (after receiving an official notice) to receive free repairs. Your vehicle's software will be updated, and, if applicable, damaged components will be replaced.

Permalink to story.

Ever since they started having problems with that high compression engine that leaked fuel into the oil pans Honda's quality has been on a bit of a downward slide. Sounds like they need to really revamp their engineering departments and bring back the old high quality systems that they built their reputation on.

Ever since they started having problems with that high compression engine that leaked fuel into the oil pans Honda's quality has been on a bit of a downward slide. Sounds like they need to really revamp their engineering departments and bring back the old high quality systems that they built their reputation on.
Honda's been rideing their reputation since the early 2000s. The old Odysseys has junk transmissions, the manual civic shave had syncro issues for almost 2 decades now, the late 2000s-mid 2010s civics and accord automatics shifted with all the grace of syphalitic lemurs. The first gen Fits were plagued with leaking issues and build quality problems. As you mentioned, the 1.5L earthdreams turbo has been a disaster to reliability. Now we have this.

Toyota isnt much better. Their CVT and rusting issues have persisted for years now. I'd trust a kia or chrysler product over the japanese at this point.

Honda's been rideing their reputation since the early 2000s. The old Odysseys has junk transmissions, the manual civic shave had syncro issues for almost 2 decades now, the late 2000s-mid 2010s civics and accord automatics shifted with all the grace of syphalitic lemurs. The first gen Fits were plagued with leaking issues and build quality problems. As you mentioned, the 1.5L earthdreams turbo has been a disaster to reliability. Now we have this.

Toyota isnt much better. Their CVT and rusting issues have persisted for years now. I'd trust a kia or chrysler product over the japanese at this point.

I would take a Kia but Chrysler, they are a joke. :laughing:

Ah, yeah, the new generation of programmers. I used to think that one day machines will take over the world and kill us. But thanks to the latest generation of programmers there's a slim chance of that. Their incompetence will save the world.

I have a 2016 Pilot and get apparent false warnings occasionally regarding battery charging and I think something w/ brakes. No recalls at all yet for me, just did a check lookup w/ my VIN.

I have a 2016 Pilot and get apparent false warnings occasionally regarding battery charging and I think something w/ brakes. No recalls at all yet for me, just did a check lookup w/ my VIN.
Typically when your Honda brake light on the dash and the battery light come on a the same time it usually means your alternator is not charging sufficiently. It could be the alternator itself or perhaps a bad battery cable connection. As the electrical load on the system varies if those lights are coming on occasionally, I would suspect a marginal alternator. It's still working but barely.

Back