Facebook and Google-backed ad firms are objecting to Apple's new warnings on user tracking

nanoguy

Staff member
Bottom line: Apple is bolstering privacy in iOS 14 with new features that help users understand how apps use their data and decide whether they want to allow tracking for personalized ads or other purposes. Advertisers in Europe aren't happy about the development, but the company is determined to make them use new tools that don't require user tracking.

When Apple announced iOS 14 and iPadOS 14, the privacy features it showcased have created uproar among advertising groups, who are now worried the changes will interfere with their ability to target users with personalized ads.

One of the common tactics used by advertisers to improve the effectiveness of their ads is to track users across apps and websites, which allows them to learn more about your interests and create a more detailed profile. It also helps them measure how well an ad campaign worked without having to know who you are.

However, for users who upgrade to iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 later this year, apps that use ads for monetisation purposes will have to display a popup that asks for permission to do the necessary tracking and explain why it's important. No less than sixteen European digital advertising associations backed by Facebook and Google are objecting to this new behavior required by Apple, noting that this would make it more likely for users to refuse giving those permissions.

Given that apps will now have to comply with both European privacy rules and Apple's new privacy policy, users will be asked for permission twice, making for an admittedly frustrating experience. It could also lead some people to believe the ad tracking behavior is something they need to think twice before enabling.

Apple says the feature is designed to increase transparency on how users' information is being used. The company is also working on a free tool for developers that allows them to use anonymous data to measure the effectiveness of an ad campaign. The tool doesn't trigger the popup, as there's no user tracking involved.

In iOS 14, the only two exceptions that allow apps to track a user without asking for explicit permission are situations where an app is sharing data locally with another app without it leaving the device, and situations where the data is used for fraud detection or other security measures.

Permalink to story.

I truly appreciate Apple telling the EU and the police what to go do with themselves when they continue demanding more and more violations of my privacy through compromising of Apple's equipment.

No I don't want my iPhone to have anything in common with any Android phone.
No I don't want USB C on my iPhone.
No I don't want the government having encryption keys to my iPhone.

I will continue patronizing Apple as they continue telling these "people" in a much nicer way than what I myself would say to them.

I want Apple to continue to eat the lion's share of profit and continue to grow so ridiculously cash rich that it can absolutely do exactly what it wants to do because the opposition is too poor to fight them - and in the action - continue to pump my share values and dividend payouts.

You don't like it?

Don't buy it.

The Free market is ALWAYS right.

"In iOS 14, the only two exceptions that allow apps to track a user without asking for explicit permission are situations where an app is sharing data locally with another app without it leaving the device, and situations where the data is used for fraud detection or other security measures."

This actually sounds reasonable, wth Apple?

I truly appreciate Apple telling the EU and the police what to go do with themselves when they continue demanding more and more violations of my privacy through compromising of Apple's equipment.

I will continue patronizing Apple as they continue telling these "people" in a much nicer way than what I myself would say to them.

I want Apple to continue to eat the lion's share of profit and continue to grow so ridiculously cash rich that it can absolutely do exactly what it wants to do because the opposition is too poor to fight them - and in the action - continue to pump my share values and dividend payouts.

You don't like it?

Don't buy it.

Maybe when you can tell the difference between european advertising agencies and the european union, someone Will listen to you... Youd also notice that what Apple wants here is almost exactly what the european union already demands in its own legislation without one of the big loop holes in that legislation (thank you Apple).
That loophole has allowed companies to create website that use psychology to make People click "I agree" without thinking, without an equally simple option to "decline", although this loophole is being challenged through the european courts and is closing up slowly. The companies are therefore right to point out that what Apple is asking is essentially for users to consider opting out of cookies twice on the same website, that is if they actually followed EU law to a t, which they undoubtedly dont, and will not until forced through legislation.
Just like Apple wont make it easy to leave their walled garden unless forced by legislation. Apple doing something good and pro-consumer (which this undoubtedly is) is not the same as Apple being "good and pro-consumer" in all that they do. Everything in life, except apparently your forum posts, has nuance.

You don't like it?

Don't buy it.

Give this a watch and tell me if the free market was RIGHT? and btw what's wrong with USB-C?

"It could also lead some people to believe the ad tracking behavior is something they need to think twice before enabling."

People should have realised this years ago. Its obvious they want you to "enable" when they make it so difficult to reject or refuse their cookies.

You don't like it?

Don't buy it.

I wonder how many times you have seen apple to pay out any dividends

Give this a watch and tell me if the free market was RIGHT? and btw what's wrong with USB-C?
usb-c is too big and harder to plug in no light conditions and any shitty manufacturer can claim his cable is usb-c while out of spec just by using the c type connector

That is actually a really nice gesture.
I probably won't be iOS user (when it comes to phones) any time soon due to limitations I personaly am not a fan of, but it's imho a nice gesture anyway.

So tired of permission requests from sites even declining saving setting in there many, many different places still asks tried accepting still asks.
Dont understand advertising does not work on me just waste of so much time and effort watching, listening, reading, declining, approving, reporting, blocking, deleting, moving to spam, unsubscribing and complaining about.
Any disruption to advertising is much appriciated not an apple fan but good work apple.

Making it sound like it should be so natural for us to accept to be tracked and analysed for the profit of advertising companies and multi-billion dollar corporations. I get it that some people's income depends on advertising but...WHEN AM I GETTING PAYED? :)

usb-c is too big and harder to plug in no light conditions and any shitty manufacturer can claim his cable is usb-c while out of spec just by using the c type connector

Are you for real? The iPhone charger is basically the same size as USB-C, they can both go in either way and any shitty manufacturer can do a crappy lightning port cable your argument is so silly its just funny

You don't like it?

Don't buy it.

Well said QP...100%

That is actually a really nice gesture.
I probably won't be iOS user (when it comes to phones) any time soon due to limitations I personaly am not a fan of, but it's imho a nice gesture anyway.
I've been an iOS user for some time now and I really don't see the restrictions that so many people think are there. Granted, yes... I'd like to set a default browser and email app other than Safari and Mail but that's coming in iOS 14.

I've been an iOS user for some time now and I really don't see the restrictions that so many people think are there. Granted, yes... I'd like to set a default browser and email app other than Safari and Mail but that's coming in iOS 14.
I am iOS user as well. I have been using both platforms for some years now.
There are limitations - usualy no headphone jack, worst BT quality audio, no resolution scaling for apps or external display, file management is still cluncy, web browsers are limited on iOS as they are using the same engine, there is no Vanced, you have limited support for 3rd party keyboard (software keyboards) etc.
It does not bother me all that much on a tablet, iPad Pro is getting to a point it's more than just a pretty time waster, but my phone would have to do better than that.

I am iOS user as well. I have been using both platforms for some years now.
There are limitations - usually no headphone jack, worst BT quality audio, no resolution scaling for apps or external display, file management is still clunky, web browsers are limited on iOS as they are using the same engine, there is no Vanced, you have limited support for 3rd party keyboard (software keyboards) etc.
It does not bother me all that much on a tablet, iPad Pro is getting to a point it's more than just a pretty time waster, but my phone would have to do better than that.
Most of what you mention doesn't bother me much. I mean it does, but it's not at all what I'd refer to as a showstopping kind of thing.

The headphone jack thing is a bit of an annoyance but lately even some Android devices are taking them away so there's that. As for Bluetooth devices, I don't see that as being a problem; I have excellent Bluetooth with my Skullcandy headphones. I refuse to buy Beats.

Most of what you mention doesn't bother me much. I mean it does, but it's not at all what I'd refer to as a showstopping kind of thing.

The headphone jack thing is a bit of an annoyance but lately even some Android devices are taking them away so there's that. As for Bluetooth devices, I don't see that as being a problem; I have excellent Bluetooth with my Skullcandy headphones. I refuse to buy Beats.
TBH If you like your Skullcandy :D trust me, you can do a hell of a lot better :D

Back