Recording Sound While Using Headphones

Hey everyone, I need some desperate help.
I'm using Windows 10 64 bit. I am having some audio recording difficulties with the internal microphone. I have absolutely zero difficulty recording audio when my headphones aren't plugged in, but as soon as I plug in my headphones, the microphone won't record anything and my recordings are silent. It doesn't matter what app I use, whether it's Voice Recorder or Audacity or something else. I've gone through all my sound and microphone settings and everything looks good. Any help hugely appreciated!

Oh, I just realized (since I use a screen reader) that the computer seems to be treating my headphones as a mierophone since the port is a combined headphone/microphone port. What should I do? Please help!

Oh, I just realized (since I use a screen reader) that the computer seems to be treating my headphones as a mierophone since the port is a combined headphone/microphone port. What should I do? Please help!

After you plug in you headphones
1. Click the Start Button
2. Type in the words System Sounds and click Change System Sounds
3. Select the Recording Tab
4. Right Click the Microphone you want to use and Set as Default Device

OR
1. Right click the ? volume button on the taskbar at the bottom right of your screen
2. Click Open Sound Settings
3. Under the Input section click the drop down box to select the microphone you want to use

Last edited:
Back