Nvidia's $6,000 Quadro RTX 8000 can now be passively cooled

mongeese

Staff
A hot potato of a GPU: PNY has announced passively cooled versions of the Nvidia Quadro RTX 8000 and 6000, which are two of Nvidia’s largest and hottest cards with 4,608 CUDA cores and 295W TDPs. At $6,000 and $4,000 respectively, that’s an expensive pair of space heaters.

PNY claims the two new GPUs, which share a core count and boost clock, only sacrifice a little bit of performance to achieve a passively coolable 250W TDP. I’ve never heard of 250W being passively cooled within a standard 2-slot form factor, but there’s a first time for everything. Particularly if you own a wind tunnel.

The boost clock has been lowered by 8% down to a still very respectable 1,620 MHz, and the base clocks have been dropped by about 12%. The memory clock has also received a small hit of 7% to bring it from 14 Gbps to 13 Gbps.

Quadro RTX 8000 Quadro RTX 8000 Passive Quadeo RTX 6000 Quadro RTX 6000 Passive
CUDA Cores 4608 4608 4608 4608
Base Clock 1395 MHz 1230 MHz 1440 MHz 1275 MHz
Boost Clock 1770 MHz 1620 MHz 1770 MHz 1620 MHz
Single-Precision 16.3 TFLOPS 14.9 TFLOPS 16.3 TFLOPS 14.9 TFLOPS
RT Cores 72 72 72 72
RTX-OPS 84T 80T 80T 80T
Tensor Cores 576 576 576 576
Mixed Matrix 130.5 TFLOPS 119.4 TFLOPS 130.5 TFLOPS 119.4 TFLOPS
Memory Capacity 48 GB GDDR6 48 GB GDDR6 24 GB GDDR6 24 GB GDDR6
Memory Clock 14 Gbps 13 Gbps 14 Gbps 13 Gbps
Memory Bandwidth 672 GB/s 624 GB/s 672 GB/s 624 GB/s
TDP 295W 250W 295W 250W

All jokes aside, these cards still need air blown across the heat spreaders by system fans, like the ones in leaf blowers -- ok, so I lied about setting the jokes aside -- that makes them server rack only, so PNY has removed their usual display ports.

Despite potentially increased operating temperatures, PNY is offering its regular three-year limited warranty.

The Quadro RTX 8000 Passive and Quadro RTX 6000 Passive are presently for sale to commercial customers, with a public release expected sometime soon. Pricing has not been disclosed.

Permalink to story.

My wallet says they will get an aggressively cold reception if they expect me to pay that kind of money for a graphic's card!

My wallet says they will get an aggressively cold reception if they expect me to pay that kind of money for a graphic's card!
These are more compute focused not gaming or basic 3d workstation stuff. In that relm you have a server rack worth over $100,000 easily with all the hardware involved.

I'm wondering why people felt so compelled to go at you for your comment tbh. Also 'target audience' isn't solely bound to price or performance/use case in this situation so how do people know you aren't exactly the target audience based on what you would intend to do with such a card, something you never stated.

Well this is out of place after the previous comment got deleted...

Last edited:
I still don't get it - how much do you, ppl those who need this HW, earn for your job, and how long does it get for these quadros teslas to get depreciated?

I still don't get it - how much do you, ppl those who need this HW, earn for your job, and how long does it get for these quadros teslas to get depreciated?

A business computer is depreciated over five years, depreciation rates may vary according to the companies method. Engineer's & Architect's, Science and certain researchers are fairly high paid, in S. California ~>$130k for a senior C++ programmer. I don't know about VFX work, the workstations are supplied by the business, employees don't pay for $20k - $30K work computers.

After my experience with my 2080Ti Black and my 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid...I will never buy a card without its own AIO again.

Liquid cooling just makes so much more sense.
I agree but those cards are almost $500 apart. The premium use to be less drastic. I settled for the scx2 hybrid which after tweaking should oc similarly to the ftw3 and still give you the silent treatment we seek.

This piece of hardware can (will), with the right algorithms applied by one data scientist, replace 20 surveillance monitors, or four geologists that get paid a million dollars salary annually. It would also, consecutively eliminate human error and improve your output, such as expose real threats or discover an oilfield. The real question you should be asking is, will I be able to keep my job.

This piece of hardware can (will), with the right algorithms applied by one data scientist, replace 20 surveillance monitors, or four geologists that get paid a million dollars salary annually. It would also, consecutively eliminate human error and improve your output, such as expose real threats or discover an oilfield. The real question you should be asking is, will I be able to keep my job.

Random web quote: Geologists are about average in terms of happiness.

The price of coal is depressing...everything is tied to the price of coal.

I don't know why this reverse thinking still persist. I understand that brain plays tricks, but c'mon it's basic physics.

It's very much actively cooled VGA. Radiators move the heat away from the PCB being the only active heat evaporator. It's exactly (case) fans which are passive elements in this whole setup. Fans don't evaporate or store heat.

Too rich for my jobs and anyway I would gladly pay 6000$ for 4x 2080Tis renders instead one RTX8000, but Luay raising a valid point in extremely specialized jobs...

A business computer is depreciated over five years, depreciation rates may vary according to the companies method. Engineer's & Architect's, Science and certain researchers are fairly high paid, in S. California ~>$130k for a senior C++ programmer. I don't know about VFX work, the workstations are supplied by the business, employees don't pay for $20k - $30K work computers.
$130K? Dude, in S. California you can get paid $85K to powerwash feces covered sidewalks. $130K is terrible for a S california engineer.

I don't know why this reverse thinking still persist. I understand that brain plays tricks, but c'mon it's basic physics.

It's very much actively cooled VGA. Radiators move the heat away from the PCB being the only active heat evaporator. It's exactly (case) fans which are passive elements in this whole setup. Fans don't evaporate or store heat.

Too rich for my jobs and anyway I would gladly pay 6000$ for 4x 2080Tis renders instead one RTX8000, but Luay raising a valid point in extremely specialized jobs...
Because "active" here is refering to moving parts. I'm sure you are aware of this. The card has no moving parts, and is thus a passive card.

$130K? Dude, in S. California you can get paid $85K to powerwash feces covered sidewalks. $130K is terrible for a S california engineer.

That's $2500/week or >$10k/month, it's an appropriate salary. You don't know what you're talking about, nobody is earning 85k for powerwashing crap.

Back