Intel Core i7-10710U Benchmarked: 14nm+++ Comet Lake

So to sum it up, similar to last generation, 2 extra cores clocked lower provide about 15% better multicore performance, about the same single threaded performance.

When compared to AMD Ryzen, Intel is better on the CPU side by about 20% to 35% AMD graphics, in Ryzen beats it by 50%+... Same story that's been told for a while, with Intel chips you need add-on graphics, with AMD chips you don't!

Does undervolting unleash the same performance gains that are also seen when you do it with the 8th and 9th gen parts?

Although this article focuses on the six core benefits, I think for me I prefer the better graphics. It depends on what you do. With the Vega graphics on AMD's mobile parts they changed the game entirely, and much more is expected from integrated GPUs. They took gaming on iGPUs from only really managing 15 year old games to making 5 year old titles or even low end modern games pretty playable.

They certainly need Zen 2 based CPU parts in the mobile space now, I just hope they come with further improvements to the graphics.

So to sum it up, similar to last generation, 2 extra cores clocked lower provide about 15% better multicore performance, about the same single threaded performance.

When compared to AMD Ryzen, Intel is better on the CPU side by about 20% to 35% AMD graphics, in Ryzen beats it by 50%+... Same story that's been told for a while, with Intel chips you need add-on graphics, with AMD chips you don't!
It is more than 15% better than 8th gen. Also, ice lake has better igp than 3700u and close in performance to 3750h.

Were you guys able to do any power consumption and / or temperature measurements at all ?

Also, curious as to what the specs for the i7-8565U system were - was it by chance also a similarly specced MSI prestige notebook ? If so, this would make the results quite comparable.

It is more than 15% better than 8th gen. Also, ice lake has better igp than 3700u and close in performance to 3750h.
It would appear you are incorrect about the IGP performance relative to the AMD Ryzen chips:
Quotes from the article: "The integrated GPU is also unchanged (from previous 8th Gen), so again no performance gains there"
Last generation's IGP were destroyed by the AMD graphics, like its not even close. Even look at this article's one test performed for GPU testing: CompuBench compute performance in optical flow. Even the Ryzen 2500U at 25W beats the Intel 10710 (at 25W) by 213%, the Ryzen 3850U by 297%.

Read the article, the iGPU is the same as 8th gen.

CPU performance wise it's 19.24% faster on average if you include mostly multi-threaded workloads. As the article stated, if you exclude multi-threaded tests, it's within margin of error.

Comet means slow moving object in space. PC sales aren't unchanged. No one is rushing out to buy anything expensive. Those credit card size PCB seems to be more interest in those than anything new in CPU technology.

My god that naming structure is messed up. How the heck do they expect consumers to figure any of that out?

You beat me to it!

It's pathetic that a company like Intel cannot find a CPU naming standard that people outside Intel labs know what the heck they signify without googling them!

Intel seems a lot tougher in laptops. It's hard to see AMD gaining much ground there.

The only reason Intel seems tougher in laptops is because AMD's mobile chips lag 1 year behind their desktop, server, and HEDT products. Navi and Zen 2 will be in next year's products so expect large gains in both the CPU and GPU departments for AMD.

I believe this will be very very bad laptop platform in manner of reliability repair ability and lifespan.

As a tradition for intel combined laptop cpu's it will include pch at the same chip which will increase the risk of failure of the whole cpu. And the cpu replace will cost the same money as to buy a new laptop. In addition to that, Intel includes their stupid and nonsense new security technologies like Boot Guard and Management Engine and Trusted Execution. Which only hardens the CPU replace.

I don't care for INTEL graphics because I want to see how their hardware/software ages. I just don't trust INTEL's drivers unless they do the usual by stealing workers & shady cheating tactics.

The only reason Intel seems tougher in laptops is because AMD's mobile chips lag 1 year behind their desktop, server, and HEDT products. Navi and Zen 2 will be in next year's products so expect large gains in both the CPU and GPU departments for AMD.
I thought they were sticking with Vega on the APU's for awhile. Though even against Zen 2, I think Intel's monolithic chips will be much tougher competition in the laptop range than they will be for the desktop.

I thought they were sticking with Vega on the APU's for awhile. Though even against Zen 2, I think Intel's monolithic chips will be much tougher competition in the laptop range than they will be for the desktop.

That was based off some code in the open source drivers. Nothing confirmed for either Vega or Navi.

What advantages does a monolithic design bring over chiplets in laptops? Nothing. With Chiplets AMD is free to bin chiplets for the best power characteristics and mix and match different CPU and GPU dies according to the device they are putting it into. This is unlike monolithic where your design is a lot less flexible nor can you bin different parts of the CPU for better power characteristics. Want to have a more powerful GPU but only 2 CPU cores? Not possible with a monolithic design if it's not already an SKU.

A scalable, modular architecture like AMD's is far more advantageous in mobile then monolithic.

That was based off some code in the open source drivers. Nothing confirmed for either Vega or Navi.

What advantages does a monolithic design bring over chiplets in laptops? Nothing. With Chiplets AMD is free to bin chiplets for the best power characteristics and mix and match different CPU and GPU dies according to the device they are putting it into. This is unlike monolithic where your design is a lot less flexible nor can you bin different parts of the CPU for better power characteristics. Want to have a more powerful GPU but only 2 CPU cores? Not possible with a monolithic design if it's not already an SKU.

A scalable, modular architecture like AMD's is far more advantageous in mobile then monolithic.

Maybe I should have said that the disadvantages of a monolithic design are not as severe in mobile as in desktop, though I do suspect packaging costs are a bit higher with multiple chips on the die. Good yields are more difficult to achieve with monolithic chips at the higher core counts and higher clockspeeds on the desktop. So maybe the way to put it is that any disadvantages are reduced on mobile.
I also don't believe that AMD is going to do a GPU chiplet. I'm more inclined to believe that they will have a monolithic part, or perhaps instead of designing a GPU chiplet, they will have a different I/O die that includes graphics + a single 8-core chiplet. I've heard of a lower end Dali part. Perhaps it will be monolithic and a Renoir part with use a chiplet.
In any case, I hope you are right and that the AMD parts will be super competitive such that they take a big share of the mobile market.

It would appear you are incorrect about the IGP performance relative to the AMD Ryzen chips:
Quotes from the article: "The integrated GPU is also unchanged (from previous 8th Gen), so again no performance gains there"
Last generation's IGP were destroyed by the AMD graphics, like its not even close. Even look at this article's one test performed for GPU testing: CompuBench compute performance in optical flow. Even the Ryzen 2500U at 25W beats the Intel 10710 (at 25W) by 213%, the Ryzen 3850U by 297%.
Dude, I was talking about ice lake igpu, not comet lake. Learn to read first.

I don't care for INTEL graphics because I want to see how their hardware/software ages. I just don't trust INTEL's drivers unless they do the usual by stealing workers & shady cheating tactics.
Don't worry, all big companies do the same. Big names migrate from company to company to try something new and this is not stealing. It is just their own will.
As for Intel drivers, yes, they are buggy but they will probably improve with a dedicated gpu on the market.

What resolution is the HandBrake encode? I'd like to see 4K HEVC (x265) encodes with a medium or slow setting at RF18 or RF20. All passthrough audio, no filters, just the automatic cropping in an MKV container.

Back