I thought my mono died, bought a new one, same problem

So a while ago my computer stopped working. basically my computer wasn’t starting, it wasn’t in a boot loop, but like the motherboard was trying to start but it couldn’t. A few of the lights were flashing but nothing else was starting up, no monitors, no fans, and the guy didn’t either. I did a lot to see what was wrong but I could never figure it out. At first I thought it was a dead bios battery so I replaced it, same problem. I took apart the entire computer, rewired everything, still happening. I talked with several friends who actually know something about computers, one of which it’s their job to fix computers (geek squad type stuff), and most of them said the motherboard probably died. so I bought a new motherboard, same exact motherboard (MSI Z87 mpower) and replaces the motherboard. Everything else is the exact same, the same cpu and ram and gpu just moved over. The same thing is still happening. It really sucks because I really had my hopes up and I thought I had the key to fixing it and I thought I would be able to play games again and all that stuff. I’m just wondering if anybody know what’s going on or if anybody else has had the same experience? I texted the same friends but only one has answered and he doesn’t really have any idea. If anybody has any clues on how to fix or if I’m just screwed please leave a comment or something, if I’m ****ed I’ll just start saving or something for a new pc, but I’d rather fix it if I can.

At least you can remove the motherboard from the list of things to check. Start with a total bare system - I.e. just the CPU (with its cooler), one DIMM of RAM, and the PSU connected to the motherboard outside of the PC case. Just rest the motherboard on the box that it can in. Don't bother with a mouse; just use a keyboard.

Now it would be handy if you could connect a monitor to the motherboard's HDMI outputs, to test the system without the GPU installed; if you can, reset the BIOS before doing so (read the motherboard manual on how to do this). If everything is working correctly, then the system should boot to the BIOS, but not go any further.

If it doesn't, then the failure lies in one of the parts you're looking at: motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU. You can discount the former, so then it's down to the other three. If you have more than one DIMM of RAM, you could test that. The fact that you've been getting lights coming on (onboard the motherboard) suggests it's unlikely to be the PSU. Which only leaves the CPU...

However, it does boot to BIOS okay, then it's a case of moving onto the next step: mount it all inside the PC case. Take extra care to make sure no part of the motherboard is shorting out on the case. The mounting bolts should only touch the metal surrounds of the mounting holes on the motherboard, and nowhere else. Don't bother with the IO shield for the moment. Try it again, and it should just give you the same results as before. If it doesn't then you'll need to get some little insulating spacers to go between the motherboard and mounting bolts. However, I suspect this is very unlikely to be the problem.

Assuming that the CPU+RAM+motherboard+PSU setup inside in the PC case boots to BIOS okay, it's then a case of introducing the GPU. Repeat the test, but keep the monitor attached to the motherboard's video output. If that boot goes okay, move the monitor to the GPU output and test again. If it doesn't boot, then the issue could be the GPU - if you have a friend that could lend you a spare one, you could test that.

If all is still going well, then it's a case of adding in all your other components one at a time and checking the boot status. Full testing requires you to go through a process of elimination to find the failing part.

Back