Ford's all-electric SUV is called the Mustang Mach-E, reservations begin this Sunday

Humza

Staff member
In brief: Ford's official unveiling of its Mustang-inspired crossover EV is just two days away. However, the company's hidden product website was prematurely spotted to reveal (and leak) a host of information about the vehicle, including its design, price, variants, range and availability.

The Mustang Mach-E, as the name implies, borrows heavily from Ford's iconic pony car in the looks department. However, the technology underneath is vastly different and represents the automaker's entry into the world of electric cars.

According to a post on MachEForum.com, a user was able to figure out a working URL for the car's hidden website where, as expected, nearly all important information on Ford's upcoming SUV was available.

The Mustang Mach-E will be available in five trims, with the entry-level Select variant starting at $43,895. This model can be opted in RWD for which Ford is targeting 255 hp, 306 ft-lbs and 230 miles of range (EPA). The AWD version gets more torque at 429 ft-lbs but less range at 210 miles. The Select-spec Mach-E will arrive in early 2021.

Next up is the Premium spec that starts at $50,600 before incentives and comes standard with 19-inch wheels whereas the Select variant gets 18-inchers. The Premium model comes in 'Standard Range' and 'Extended Range,' with the latter being slightly more powerful and offering better mileage of as much as 300 miles in RWD spec.

Buyers with even deeper pockets can opt for the California Route 1 trim. This variant is only offered in RWD with the Extended Range pack. That means 282 hp, 306 ft-lbs and a range of 300 miles.

The flagship model, starting at $60,500, is the Mustang Mach-E GT. While Ford mentions the power figures for this trim as 'Coming Soon,' it's likely to be the most powerful one in the lineup as its AWD powertrain (no RWD option) is expected to take it from 0-60 mph in under four seconds and up to 250 miles on a single charge, when it's being driven more sedately. Both the California Route 1 and GT models will arrive in 2021, with the latter coming in spring.

The Mustang Mach-E First Edition is the final variant, which along with the Premium model, will be the first to go off assembly lines and reach customers in late 2020. The First Edition will be priced from $59,900, will only come in AWD and Extended Range spec, for which Ford is targeting 333 hp, 429 ft-lb and a range of 270 miles.

According to Ford, the Mustang Mach-E will be able to get 47 miles of range in 10 minutes with DC fast charging from a 150 kW charger, which seems good enough for making small-town commutes in the SUV's rather minimalist interior.

The restrained look of the cabin seems to be inspired by Tesla with a huge touchscreen in the center to replace traditional dashboard buttons and switches. A notable difference is the digital gauge cluster for the driver and, of course, the Mustang logo on the three-spoke steering wheel.

Ford's official launch event for the Mustang Mach-E at the Los Angeles Auto Show, will most likely confirm these details and reveal more information on the car. Reservations are expected to be open right after the event on Ford.com, for which customers will need $500 to book their slot.

Permalink to story.

Personally, I think that $43,895 for the low end vehicle is more than a little expensive. Show me a striped down model for under $30K and I think you'll sell a lot more units and end the year with higher profits.

Personally, I think that $43,895 for the low end vehicle is more than a little expensive. Show me a striped down model for under $30K and I think you'll sell a lot more units and end the year with higher profits.

Be curious what the margin is on these. The trick to think about with EV vs gas or diesel is the total cost of ownership. cost to fill up is a fraction of, plus no oil changes, fewer mechanical items to fail. It is interesting stuff. I'll have to keep an eye on the changing TCO values cause it turns out that I enjoy saving money. :)

Sad...Ford isn't and hasn't been run by "car guys" in a LONG time. Suits that only care about profit.
SUV's are overpriced because they are "hot and trendy" and the auto manufacturers have made it that way telling the sheeple you GOTTA have one. The only thing "Mustang" about this, is the triple tail light and the running horse logo. Overpriced because they can get away with it. And of course, the "keep up with the Jones" bunch will flock to it like a moth to a flame.

I currently own a Mach 1, wife had a ragtop, worked on and driven more Mustaings, GT's, Cobras and others than I can count. This is soooo far away from the concept of a sports car/pony car I can't begin to describe it. Not to mention, the Electric GT price seems to be up there past the special editions of the current GT's. The interior is hideous, and will have to wait to hear about the rest, but this will be Ford's biggest boondoggle yet. First ditching cars, then going electric with Tesla suv knock off's without the snob appeal will go nowhere.

I agree with all the sentiment above and feel the loss of heritage the Mustang brand is loosing with this. I don't see why/how they decided on using the "Mustang" namesake, instead of another, or something just brand new.

For Ford Motor Company's sake..
I really hope, that this Mustang Mach E is not the only announcement that Ford is making. There is no way this is an example of Ford's future of Racing. If it's a Mustang then there must also be a halo superstang in the works, to showcase Ford's world class EV pony car, for the masses..!

I would think Ford Performance will have to announce something at this event. I suspect, they will announce more about the Mustang brand. Or at least I hope they do.

I just want a Mustang turbo, w/electric assist horse kick... push to pass, whatever.

As a Mustang fan, I would not have called an SUV a Mustang ever...
Mustang is a muscle car, not a noiseless family SUV.
Aside from the name, I like the concept and would consider buying one at some point.
Ford makes good cars!

I've owned 5 Mustang's in my 60 years. 85,89,95,99,11. I still drive the 11.
Been a fan since I was a 6 year old boy! The only time I really didn't like the Mustang,
was during the so called oil crisis that brought us the "mustang 2". They ALMOST
made a mistake in 89 when they were thinking of making what ended up being called the Ford Probe, was suppose to be the Mustang.
Too bad there aren't any CAR guys running these companies anymore. Now, everything has to be and look like a #$!@% SUV because that's what makes the most profit.

Not impressed... I agree ruins the Mustang name. This is just another boring crossover lame-a$$ everyone has to buy one that just happens to have some performance thanks to electric motors. It is NOT a Mustang in any way, shape, or form as far as I'm concerned.

As for this damn larger vehicle trend, it certainly is nice to have more space when you need it but I see 70% or so people out there with these things DON'T NEED THEM! Same thing with pickup trucks, though there are a lot of workers out there, but I'd say a good 60% of the trucks I see in my area are completely unnecessary. We are a very wasteful people, though I think a lot of it comes from the supposed safety aspect of a heavier, taller vehicle. And while there is something to be said for that, the thing that will keep you the most safe is watching what the hell you are doing. Though I fear most of the population works on their offensive driving more than their defensive driving. I certainly don't have any room to talk as I get angry too and become very passive aggressive on the road. We are all human but I try to recognize when I'm about to or when I am doing this and teach myself to knock it the hell of. In the end, it likely doesn't solve anyway and 99% of drivers aren't going to be "taught a lesson". Which I guess is why bigger is better.

Back