Computer won't load anything past bios

Kristian Drain

The title says the problem. I haven't used my desktop for about 3 months due to a bad old psu. I replaced it with a new upgraded one and now I have this problem. I have access to the bios screen but after that its a black screen with only a flashing white line in the top left corner but it even fades away after a few seconds. I've tried reseting bios and reconecting all psu cables making sure there are all correct but still nothing.

my specs
MSI gaming 970 motherboard
GTX geforce 750 graphics card
intel core quad core 2.4ghz processor
evga supernova 1000w g2 psu
standard 4gb ram(x2)
standard toshiba 500gb hd

You also could try turning the computer all the way off. Unplugging it. Hold the power button down for 10 seconds (to drain power), pull your RAM and re-seat it. Push and hold the CMOS button down for 10 seconds. Plug the PC back in, and try rebooting.

Ya I forgot to mention that I tried pulling ram and reseating the ones I had in different orders but that did nothing. I've now got Windows 7 on a usb but trying to go through installation I have an error saying windows cannot be installed to disk 0. there's 3 disk 0's.

Sounds like you need to do the following steps:
Boot up with the Windows 7 disk...enter the "troubleshooting" screen select Command Prompt
type:
bootrec /rebuildbcd
bootrec /fixmbr
If that doesn't work go to command prompt again type:
diskpart
select disk 0
list volume
(determine your drive letter)
Look for the “CD-ROM” word in a “Type” column. This item is your CD/DVD installation drive letter.
If the drive letter is D:\, type these commands:
exit
D:
cd boot
dir
If the drive letter is different than D:\, replace the second command with the drive letter you have noted from the previous list volume command.
bootsect /nt60 SYS /mbr
Remove the cd/ dvd from the tray
type "exit"
press enter to restart your computer

Here's how to do a clean install of W7 by HTG. Let us know how things go. Please note there are two pages on this link. (continue at the bottom to see the whole article)
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-7-2624917

If you're installing Windows 7 on a computer with a single hard drive on which you've just deleted all the partitions from, your screen should look like this one, aside from your hard drive being a different size.
windows-7-clean-install-F-57c769e35f9b5829f4ba92eb.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried booting from one stick of RAM at a time? And did you make sure to plug in the connector for the CPU power cable up by the processor (usually above it)

I just tried it but nothing worked still. Just to elaborate more I have windows 7 on a flash drive which lets me start the initial install but doesn't let me select a storage device to install it to saying(windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk had am MBR partition table. on EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks. Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS)
I also have the original windows 7 disc that came with the computer but trying to boot from it it just gives me a black screen with no initial install.

Yes the CD is the first to boot and I get nothing when it does. That post said to change the CD from uefi to sata which is on know hot to exactly do. In the bios boot order the CD says uefi but when I choose boot menu it says sata4 DVD

I don't see anything resembling setting launch csm. I see a boot mode select which is set to legacy+uefi and the only other option for that is uefi

Select legacy and try that. In the video I sent about the MSI bios, at the very end, there appears to be a UEFI boot override option and you may be able to select sata there.

In the article after the video...the person answering said some things that definitely are not the same on my Gigabyte board but here is the section I am talking about.
UEFI is a lot more complex than the old BIOS. And therefore has a lot more settings. Often you also have to turn on USB ports or some other setting that may not seem like it is related to USB ports to get USB devices to work like keyboard & mouse.
And you may have to turn off UEFI fast boot as then it boots so quickly that you do not have time to get into UEFI menu to make changes. Often a total cold boot will still let you get into UEFI, but my Asus-AR motherboard had a fast boot setting for cold boot also. Then if system issues you could end up with a brick. Most motherboard do have a final work around of jumpering pins on motherboard to totally reset system.
With my new UEFI system I had many settings to change just to get it to work.
But even with old system and only BIOS I did have a few settings like turning on USB keyboard & mouse that I had to change.

Although, this doesn't seem to fix your situation...it is interesting that that board has those issues.

I don't see anything resembling setting launch csm. I see a boot mode select which is set to legacy+uefi and the only other option for that is uefi
Hi. That's the option you need. I'm totally confused as to what your trying to do? I have given you several links to look at. Best I bow out and lessen the confusion.;)

Selecting boot there still nothing and I've been in legacy mode most of this time so I don't think could be it. Do you think that maybe I just need a new hard drive to install to. I have had a blue screen error before and had to do a complete reinstall to fix that.

Back