Apple could be planning to build a Mac using a single piece of glass

Polycount

Staff
In context: Folding displays are all the rage these days, and we've seen many tech companies release or announce their own gadgets that utilize the technology. There's Lenovo's new ThinkPad, Samsung's Galaxy Fold, and Huawei's Mate X, to name a few. However, folding displays alone aren't radical enough for some of Apple's engineers.

A recent patent filed by Apple reveals a design for a curved Mac, built from a single sheet of glass. The device would be shaped a bit like an L, with the bottom portion built to hold a keyboard and touchpad.

The upper part may house the screen, a camera, and any other gadgets Apple sees fit to include. The angle of the Mac could be adjusted by using an included wedge, which would prop up (or lower) the back of the Mac.

The wedge could also serve as a place to house components, which could relieve some of the engineering difficulties that would arise from trying to shove a full PC into a piece of glass.

Since this is a patent, we obviously don't have any information on potential specifications, screen resolutions, unique features, or anything else of that nature. However, this idea is certainly intriguing, even if it probably isn't very feasible to develop with today's technology (at least, not for mass-market use).

We should also point out that patent applications are not necessarily a reliable way to determine what products a company is or isn't working on. Sometimes, ideas are patented to block competitors from swiping them, or to reserve the concept for far-future development.

Given how unusual this particular design is, we suspect it falls into the latter camp, so don't expect to be able to rush out and buy a curved Mac anytime soon.

Permalink to story.

My initial thoughts on the idea was I'd like having the position of my keyboard and mouse (trackpad in this case) at a permanently set distance away from the screen. But I then realised that this is exactly how it is with my laptop! Still not super keen on this AAIO (absolutely all-in-one) layout, though.

Looks and sounds very dumb, taking away the freedom of placing the keyboard and track-pad where you want. This is NOT a laptop, this is a desktop, Apple dimwits!

Well, Apple has made more than their share of marketing mistakes over the years so perhaps this will be their first & biggest for 2020!

Welcome back to 1985, folks! Prepare to connect to the mainframe and fight for server time.

I think it's so funny how other computer companies don't even bother trying to imitate Apple's aluminum body, ultra-thin designs.

They would rather do the smart thing and build PC with user-desired I/O even if it means not being as glamorous.

I don't see how this "obvious to the eye" patent application is patent worthy. If they get it, I think I'll file one for a computer in a plank. A chunk of fiberglass, and a potato.
You're being naive and silly. If Apple wants a patent on that nonsense, thy'll just buy one.

But then again, I suppose you could say I'm just being cynical and bitter.

I think it's so funny how other computer companies don't even bother trying to imitate Apple's aluminum body, ultra-thin designs.

They would rather do the smart thing and build PC with user-desired I/O even if it means not being as glamorous.
As ungainly and style-less as perhasps you and other people may feel the traditional desktop may be, all this nonsense about thin and light, is just giving manufacturers leave to sh!t all over "universal Plug and play"

Even in the realm of laptops, the now soldered in memory and SSDs are guaranteed to give you massive repair bills if something breaks.

Give me a nice big fat laptop, where I can add a bigger drive or more memory, without surrendering my first born to Apple to pay for it.

Oh boy.. how is this a step in the right direction? All in one computers has been around for "centuries" and they are all terrible!
Heat management - sux
Performance -sux
Upgrading/replacing/repairing anything - sux

Apple's whole thing with making everything from a single piece of glass/aluminium/Turd is a sales gimmick that needlessly complicates the manufacturing process and artificially inflates the price.

Apple's whole thing with making everything from a single piece of glass/aluminium/Turd is a sales gimmick that needlessly complicates the manufacturing process and artificially inflates the price.
Perhaps so, but why would they ever consider changing their business model, when they have so many hipsters and yuppies addicted to it?

As ungainly and style-less as perhasps you and other people may feel the traditional desktop may be, all this nonsense about thin and light, is just giving manufacturers leave to sh!t all over "universal Plug and play"

Even in the realm of laptops, the now soldered in memory and SSDs are guaranteed to give you massive repair bills if something breaks.

Give me a nice big fat laptop, where I can add a bigger drive or more memory, without surrendering my first born to Apple to pay for it.
My friend who is a student and can't afford newer high end laptops bought an older used Dell and it has loads of ports, we don't even know what some of them are for, backlit kb and whatnot. It's on the fatter side but I actually prefer it over slim ones that have 2 USB ports and nothing else. Ofcourse, nothing is replacable or upgradable on them. Everyone is racing to have the sleekest design while ignoring actual usability of the thing.

This looks like the kind of design you would see for kiosk use. Keyboard and trackpad contained, sleek design to give the establishment a quality feel - certain sectors would flock to this sort of thing.

"Build it & they will come"

Apparently, alot of people are buyin the new $6-$60k macs, so why would anyone think that this design won't sell ???

This is just the next evolution of the iMac, so just start saving up for it now & you'll be ready when the time comes :)

Back